The Deeds Carillon was officially dedicated in 1942.
For 75 years, this iconic Dayton landmark has provided a brilliant soundtrack for the Gem City. Designed by Reinhard & Hofmeister of New York, the same architectural firm responsible for Rockefeller Center, Deeds Carillon owes its existence to the generosity of Edith Walton Deeds, a petite woman with a benevolent spirit and a lifelong love for music.
While traveling in Bruges, Belgium, in the 1930s, Edith, the wife of Carillon Historical Park Founder Edward A. Deeds, was drawn to the enchanting sound of carillon bells. She dreamed of someday sharing this music with Dayton. Edith’s dream was realized through the construction of Deeds Carillon, her most visible legacy to the community she loved.
At the 23rd annual Ringing in the Holidays, Carillon Historical Park will celebrate 75 years of Deeds Carillon. Music-themed decorations, live music, and merriment all help kick off the holiday season.
Here are five Ringing in the Holidays highlights:
1. Todd the Fox brings his set of upbeat original music, stylized covers, and old standards to Ringing in the Holidays.
2. Dayton's Most Delightful Dessert Contest is always a Ringing in the Holidays favorite. Guests sample offerings from Tiers of Sugar, The Cakery, Nanette's, Desserts by Ann K., and Dewberry 1850 at Marriot at the University of Dayton, and winners receive the People's Choice, Critic's Choice and Best Presentation awards.
3. Gourmet hors d’oeuvres from Elite Catering including shrimp and grits, short ribs with mashed potatoes, a Mac-n-Cheese bar, and more!
4. Silent Auction featuring unique packages and baskets including a private Carillon Park Tavern Dinner for 15 people, a ride for two with complimentary champagne in the Houser Asphalt & Concrete Hot Air Balloon, swim lessons for your little one at Goldfish Swim School, and more.
5. Winter Getaway Raffle tickets available for sale at the Carillon Historical Park Museum Store or by calling 937-293-2841 Ext. 119. One chance for $10, six chances for $50. First Prize: A two-night stay at the Four Seasons Hotel in a city-view room in Chicago. Includes two round-trip Delta Air Lines flights from Cincinnati and a $250 certificate to Leña Brava, Rick Bayless’ new restaurant. Second Prize: Kick off A Carillon Christmas by flipping the switch on the Carillon Tree of Light, November 29th, 2017.
WANT TO GO?
WHEN: Saturday, Nov. 18 from 6:30–10 p.m.
WHERE: Carillon Historical Park, 1000 Carillon Blvd.
ADMISSION: Non-Members: $85, Members: $75, Jingle Bell Patron: $250, Price includes food & drink
INFORMATION: (937) 293-2841 Ext. 119, daytonhistory.org