- Dayton.com staff
Whether you’re a hardcore Star Wars fan or not, there’s no denying that the costumes from the films are absolutely incredible works of art. Now, you can see them for yourself at the Cincinnati Museum Center, 1301 Western Ave, Cincinnati.
Star Wars and the Power of Costume is on display from May 25-Oct. 1, 2017. The exhibit features over 70 of the finest handcrafted costumes from the Star Wars galaxy, uncovering the challenges, the intricate processes and the remarkable artistry of George Lucas, the concept artists and costume designers.
The costumes reflect an eclectic mix of cultural, historical and mythical sources that add rich texture to the story. Guests will explore the creative process from Lucas’s vision through concept drawings by artists such as Ralph McQuarrie and Iain McCaig to the final costume designs of John Mollo and Trisha Biggar, among others.
Featured costumes include:
- Monk-like robes of Jedi masters Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker
- Intimidating suit and complex breathing apparatus of Darth Vader
- Military-influenced uniforms of the Imperial Stormtrooper, Senate Guard and TIE Fighter Pilot
- Yak hair and mohair costume of Chewbacca
- Intergalactic outfits of Senators Bail Organa, Mon Mothma and Mas Amedda
- Fierce armor of mercenary bounty hunters Jango Fett, Boba Fett and Zam Wesell
- Elaborately detailed gowns of Queen Amidala, Queen Jamillia and their handmaidens
Short films in Star Wars and the Power of Costume provide a behind-the-scenes look at the creative process and include interviews with artists, designers and actors. The visitor experience will be enhanced by digital interactives featuring sketches, photographs and notes that capture the creative team’s inspiration and vision.
Tickets are $24/adult, $16/child (ages 3-12), $21/senior (ages 60+), $17/adult member, $12/child member (ages 3-17). For more information, visit cincymuseum.org or call 512-.
Star Wars and the Power of Costume is a partnership of the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art, the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service (SITES) and Lucasfilm Ltd.View full experience