- Dayton.com staff
Have you ever wondered where to go for a romantic meal? We've got a list of the region's best -- each of these spots has an intimate atmosphere, high-quality food, great service and well-made drinks.
The best part is that you don't have to just do this on Valentine's Day -- you can enjoy a cozy, seductive experience year-round.
Here's a dozen of some of the most romantic restaurants in the Miami Valley, in alphabetical order. We recommend calling ahead to check availability and make reservations early.
- Basics: 5 S. Market St., Troy; Call (937) 552-7676
- Why it rates: Great blend of an intimate atmosphere and well-crafted dishes.
- Basics: 250 Warren St., Dayton; Call (937) 228-2626
- Why it rates: This restaurant has carved a strong reputation with its eclectic menu and inviting atmosphere.
- Basics: 19 E. Main St., Tipp City; Call (937) 667-0007
- Why it rates: This restaurant in downtown Tipp City serves up perfectly executed, creative dishes in a charming atmosphere — and, it won third place in Dayton.com’s 2017 Best of Dayton contest for “Best Place to Take a Date.”
- Basics: 225 E. Sixth St., Dayton's Oregon Historic District; Call (937) 222-2892
- Why it rates: The antique bar is breathtaking, Jay's has the best wine list in the city, and the decadently rich chocolate mousse is guaranteed to melt a woman's (or man's) heart.
- Basics: 329 E. 5th St., Dayton; Call (937) 723-7637
- Why it rates: Lily's captured the most votes in the 2015 "Best of Dayton" designation as "Best Place to Take a Date," and with its romantic atmosphere, numerous nooks and crannies and laid-back attitude, it's easy to see why.
- Basics: 5531 Far Hills Ave., Washington Twp.; Call (937) 434-4750
- Why it rates: An eclectic but comfortable vibe, inspired cuisine and a well-chosen wine list make this an inviting destination.
- Basics: 453 Miamisburg-Centerville Road, Washington Twp.; Call (937) 567-8888
- Why it rates: This fondue restaurant's subdued lighting, glass-walled wine cellar and wine-themed artwork create an undeniably romantic atmosphere. And if you find chocolate an aphrodisiac, save room for dessert.
- Basics: 20 S. First St., Miamisburg; call (937) 802-0891
- Why it rates: A quiet, intimate atmosphere and an ever-changing, yet consistently fine, menu, enhanced by some creative cocktails. A relative newbie to Dayton’s dining scene, it was recently named “Best Fine Dining” in the 2017 Dayton.com Best of Dayton contest.
Shen's Szechuan & Sushi
- Basics: 7580 Poe Ave., Vandalia; Call (937) 898-3860
- Why it rates: The soft lighting and rich woods of this restaurant's interior make it one of the most inviting atmospheres in the Miami Valley.
Salar Restaurant & Lounge (currently closed due to fire)
- Basics: 400 E. Fifth St. , (937) 203-3999
- Why it rates: A beautifully renovated restaurant, with fine cocktails and creative dishes. (EDITOR’S NOTE: Salar is currently closed due to a fire on Dec. 29, 2017. Chef and owner Margot Blondet states that the restaurant will reopen, though it is uncertain when.)
Roost Modern Italian
- Basics: 524 E Fifth St., (937) 222-3100
- Why it rates: Cozy atmosphere, upscale Italian cuisine combine to boost the romance quotient.
- Basics: 2450 Dayton Xenia Road, Beavercreek. Call (937) 426-4600.
- Why it rates: With high-backed, comfortable booths and elegant comfort food, it’s got the best of all worlds. The words “extraordinary” and “incredible” have been used by many a diner to describe the dishes here.
Other romantic restaurant options
If none of the options above struck your fancy, give one of these a whirl, or, if your favorite doesn't appear here, suggest it by leaving a comment on the taste blog, because I know I must be missing some good ones:
- Basil's on Market, Troy
- Bonefish Grille, Miami Twp.
- Brio, Beavercreek
- Carvers, Washington Twp.
- Greenfire Bistro, Tipp City
- Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar, Beavercreek
- J. Alexanders, Washington Twp.
- Mamma DiSalvo's, Kettering
- Michael Anthony's at the Inn, Versailles
- Oakwood Club, Oakwood
- Pasha Grill, Beavercreek
- P.F. Chang's, Miami Twp.
- View 162 Restaurant & Lounge in the Crowne Plaza hotel, Dayton
- Thai 9, Dayton
- The Winds, Yellow Springs