This year they've add even more music, featuring The Goldsberrys, Sugargrove Bluegrass, Little Miami String Band, The Devil Doves, OldNews, The Repeating Arms, Erika Hughes and the High Water Drifters, The Rusty Pieces, Blue Caboose, Fox Valley Harvest and Buffalo Wabs & The Price Hill Hustle. Don't forget, the best seat in the house just may be from a canoe or tube!
Canoegrass is presented by Tomfoolery Outdoors, which is the foremost expert on outdoor fun! So he's packed in loads of it, with additional events such as Canoe Jousting, Rope Swing, Slip n Slide, Slackline Park and Hammock Land, Squirt gun flights, River Stage Floatillas, Sand Volleyball, Food Trucks, and a Canoe cooler happy hour presented by The Dayton Beer Company. Wow! Tickets for the entire weekend are $100 at the gate. Sales are limited! Check www.canoegrass.com for more details.
Looking for more fun? Keep reading to find out more about the Art in the City, Brew & Blues and much more!
Recommended for you
Recommended for you
Recommended for you
Friday August 4th
This First Friday in downtown Dayton is extra special, as it celebrates Art in the City. Tons of events are happening all over the city, from music, dancing, performing arts, to visual arts and kids activities. It's definitely the night to be in Dayton!
By the way, if you're worried about parking, there are lots of options! The Downtown Dayton Partnership, who hosts the night suggests: Park for free in the lot next to K12 and use the gallery as your starting point. There’s also a $3 special rate in the Transportation Center Garage for a more centrally located starting point. On-street meters are free after 6 p.m., and other lots and garages abound!
From 6-8pm, they encourage you to Party on the Patio! Stop by one of these participating patios, to enjoy a live art demo or a musical performance:
- 416 Diner
- Blind Bob’s
- Corner Kitchen
- The Dayton Beer Co. (downtown biergarten)
- The Dublin Pub
- Lily’s Bistro
- MJ’s on Jefferson
- Mudlick Tap House
- Toxic Brewing Co.
- The Trolley Stop
- Uno Pizzeria & Grill
- Wheat Penny Oven & Bar
- The Wine Gallery
Also downtown, enjoy Riverscape MetroPark's Pickin' in the Park at series featuring progressive bluegrass music, craft beer and food from a variety of food trucks. Bring your dancing shoes and a lawn chair for seating. This month features music from Mad River Railroad, Growler and Whiskey Bent Valley Boys. Free! All ages. 5:30-10pm.
- Yellow Cab - The Company Man Retreat from 8-11:30pm. Early show! Gotta love those, where you're out in time to relieve the babysitter, or keep ragin on to other shows. Enjoy 2 performances from The Company Man's Band, exclusive lanyards, more networking than you can shake a ball point pen at!
- Oregon Express - Nasty Bingo (folkadelic blues rock) and Lord Kimbo (high energy funk). Super excited for this show! Fabulous and fresh original music! 9:30pm show starts. 21+ $5 cover.
- Blind Bob's Bar - Rock out with The Skulx, Downtown Brown, and ThunderTaker. 9pm show starts. 21+ $5 cover.
- South Park Tavern - Novagold is excited to rock SPT! The Kurt Deemer Band from Baltimore is kicking off the night of live music. 9pm.
- De'Lish Cafe - Friday Nights Unplugged with live soul, jazz and R&B music from 9-11 p.m. with no cover charge, plus $5 drink specials all night.
- The Dublin Pub - Miami Valley Pipe and Drum group starting around 7 p.m., and live Celtic rock music by Blackthorn and Laurel, starting at 9 p.m.
- Gilly's Jazz - Old Skool Groove Night from 8 p.m. to midnight, $5 cover.
- Trolley Stop - $5 food specials from 4-7 p.m. Live original rock'n'roll from Matty Monk starting at 9:30 p.m.
- Jimmie's Ladder 11 - Third Dayton Reggae Party with the positive vibes from Seefari and Doctah X. 10pm 21+ $7 cover.
- Masque - 3DMentional presents Nicole Moudaber , international DJ with a muscular take on techno. 9pm-3am. $24.80 GA tickets. VIP and bottle options available. 18+
Elvis fans will be loving Elvis: Live In Concert at Rose Music Center.This is an all-new concert production featuring Elvis Presley on the big screen accompanied by a live orchestra. Cool! Tickets $51.50+ 6:30pm doors. 7:30pm show.
The Wandering Griffin features Tim Spoores from 6-8pm on their spacious patio. Check out this new brewery and venue, located across from Wright State University. Family Friendly!
Big Party out in Fairborn with their Bluegrass & Brew Festival! Bring the family and enjoy the summer evening with four bluegrass bands, eight food trucks, family-friendly activities and a beer garden flowing with your favorite brews. 4-10:30pm. Schedule as follows:
5:30 – 6:30 Summer Highway Band
7:00 – 8:30 Nightflyer
9:00 – 10:30 Mark Whitt
Up for a Road Trip? Dayton's own The Werks, present their annual and quite massive The Werk Out Music and Arts Festival located outside Columbus. The line up includes fantastic national bands such as Twiddle, Dumpstaphunk, The Floozies, Gramatik, as well as local band such as Subterranean, Arrows of Neon, and of course, The Werks themselves. $160 GA tickets for the entire weekend.
Saturday August 5th
Manray celebrates the release of "Two Kinds of Worry" on vinyl and digital download. at Yellow Cab Tavern on Saturday night. They are joined by Lioness (Dayton 11 piece super group). Gaptooth Grin (Athens). It's truly going to be a very special night for Dayton music fans! 8pm. $5 cover. All ages!
Rock'a'billy rebels Cherry Lee & The Hot Rod Hounds are back at Blind Bob's on Saturday night. Always a fun time with this crew! 9:30pm. 21+ $5 cover.
In Yellow Springs, check out Scarecrow Sideshow and GoodnightGoodnight at the Clifton Mills Opera House ! Tickets are $10, $5 goes to keep the Opera House open for enjoyment! For pre-sale tickets call 937-342-2175. 6:30-9:30pm.
Also in Yellow Springs, you can catch Ben Rorrer, The Ben Clonch Band and Cozmikspirit at Peach's Grill. Music at 10pm. 21+
80's fans, don't miss the Retro Futura Tour 2017 at Fraze Pavilion features Howard Jones, English Beat, Modern English, Men Without Hats, Paul Young, and Katrina (Ex-Katrina & the Waves). Tickets are $45 - Orchestra or $35 - Lawn & Terrace. All ticket prices increase $5 day of show. 6:30pm.
Tuesday August 8th
Wednesday August 9th
And as always, thank you for supporting live music!
Your Dayton Music Insider,
Note to Readers: The information above is for August 4th-9th, 2017. If I don’t list a price, I’m not sure what it is. Typically cover charges for local concerts are $5. Please click the hyperlinks to find out more about the bands, venues, and events, including start times, directions, and ticket availability. Keep up with my live music adventures on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. Enjoy the show!