Friends, this is the time of year when we all just have to collectively cancel other plans and dedicate ourselves to live music. What else can I say? There are just so many cool things happening!
From sound sculpture concerts, to epic street fairs, to free concerts hosted by both the City of Dayton and City of Springfield -- there is literally something for every musical taste and budget. Keep reading to find out what fun is in store for this weekend!
Thursday, June 8th
- Thursday evening's Four Voices show at Fraze Pavilion is a delightful way to slide into the weekend! Enjoy a unique performance from 4 fabulous women from the folk, country & rock scenes: Joan Baez, Mary Chapin Carpenter & Indigo Girls' Amy Ray & Emily Saliers. See these legends in your own backyard Thursday evening at 7:30 p.m. $30, Terrace. NOTE: All ticket prices increase $5 day of show.
- Another fun & free way to get your weekend rollin' early is by heading over to RiverScape MetroParks for their Summer Music Series, presented by Dayton.com (yep, that's us!). Thursday evening's performance features the swing band stylings of Hal Harris Orchestra. Bring a lawn chair and your dancing shoes for a lovely evening. Weather Dependent. 7:30-9:30 p.m. All ages. Free!
- If that gets your evening going, the party doesn't have to stop there! There is more great music happening downtown. Over at the brand new bar Hannah's (located on Ludlow near the Arts Garage), you can check out some original tunes from Jericho Thyme . They are a fantastic combo of musicians, all performing from the heart! Starts at 9 p.m. No cover.
Recommended for you
Recommended for you
Recommended for you
- Over at Yellow Cab, they are hosting their Showcase Thursday singer / songwriter event, this time featuring local musicians Lucy Smythe, Max B. Greene, Lisa Gain, Chris Yakopcic, Kyleen Downes and Eric Flinn. This is a wonderful way to hear both new and beloved acts! NOTE: This show is not every Thursday, so be sure to check the schedule for future dates! 8-11 p.m.
- Country fans, I encourage you to check out Ashley Martin , an up-and-coming local musician, performing just south of town at JD Legends. She will be performing a special acoustic solo set, that will show off her wonderful voice and songwriting chops. Show 7:30-10:30 p.m.
Friday, June 9th
- Certainly one of the must highly-anticipated shows of the weekend is the Sound Sculpture Concerts presented by Michael Bashaw. This truly unique performance is set in the comfortable and intimate Dayton Theater Guild, on both Friday and Saturday nights. The concerts will feature both new arrangements, and old favorites from past concerts, and several new Sound Sculptures. Michael will be joined by musicians Sandy Bashaw, John Taylor and Erich Reith. Performances are June 9 & 10, 2017 at 8 p.m. (doors open at 7:00 p.m.), at the Dayton Theatre Guild, 430 Wayne Ave. Tickets are $20 each.
- Enjoy the glorious weather and view at Riverscape Metro Park with the Charles Walker Band. They are performing Friday evening as part of the R&B Hot Summer Music Series . Bring a lawn chair for seating and don't forget your dancing shoes! Weather Dependent. 7:30-9:30 p.m. All ages. Free.
- Down in the Oregon District, it's gonna be a fun night of rockabilly with Dayton's own Cherry Lee & the Hot Rod Hounds at Oregon Express. $5 cover. 21+.
- More female-driven rock is just down the street with Erica Blinn & the Handsome Machine at Trolley Stop. 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m. $5 cover. 21+.
- A mix of regional alternative bands are gathering at Blind Bob's for an evening of rock'n'roll, featuring A Voice of Your Own, Lackluster, New Moons, Mission Man . 9pm. $5 cover. 21+
- The Gem Fest 2017 concert series at Yellow Cab Tavern kicks off with a celebration of the music of the 80's and 90's, performed by Todd The Fox, McGuff & The Dumpster Fires, and Stella's Demise. If you get the itch to break out your 80s or 90s wardrobe, feel free to indulge yourself! $5 cover charge goes to support SICSA Pet Adoption Center. How sweet! 8 p.m.-12 a.m.
- Springfield's own Griffin House returns to perform at the Springfield Summer Arts Festival . House has become extremely popular, and thankfully he's returning from his new home in Nashville to show his hometown some love! Check him out for FREE at the Turner Pavilion in Veteran’s Park, 250 Cliff Park Road, Springfield. 7-9:30 p.m.
Saturday, June 10th
- Song birds are gathering at Oregon Express for another special 4-act evening, featuring Dave Berry - Solo Acoustic, Miranda Pennington, Chris Brewer, and Sonny B. Gould. 9 p.m. $5 cover. 21+.
- Bluegrass fans, be sure to stop by to see Sawgrass performing at Trolley Stop. SURE to be a fun time there! 9:30 p.m. $5 cover. 21+.
- Rock fans, check out Bribing Senators , Cricketbows & Big Lightning at Hannah's at 121 N Ludlow St. 9 p.m. $5 cover.
- Journey fans are in for a treat with Resurrection: A Journey Tribute at the Springfield Summer Arts Festival at Turner Pavilion. All Summer Arts Festival shows are admission-FREE; tickets are not required, and donations accepted at intermission. All programs and events subject to change. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- For my friends west of town, rock out at Englewood's Courtyard Lounge for a great show featuring Far From Eden, Rich Man's Trick, Crosley Court, and Monocle ! Nice lineup! 9 p.m. $5 cover. 21+.
- Your Sunday Funday is officially planned! Experience the best the local jazz scene has to offer at this year's Dayton Jazz Festival ! Relax to the smooth sounds of the regions best jazz vocalists and artists at Riverscape Metro Park. Weather Dependent. 1-9 p.m. All ages. Free.
- Classical music fans out there? I'm not sure if they are subscribers to this blog, but if they are, there is a free event for you on Sunday: The Springfield Symphony Orchestra performing as part of the Springfield Summer Arts Festival . The performance starts at 8 p.m. at Turner Pavilion. All Summer Arts Festival shows are admission-FREE; tickets are not required, although donations are accepted at intermission.
Monday, June 12th
- One of the area's brightest stars, John Legend , is returning home to perform with supporting act Gallant at the Rose Music Center on Monday evening. Goes without saying that seeing this multi-platinum selling, Oscar, Golden Globe and 10x Grammy Award winning singer-songwriter is a "don't miss" event! Tickets start at $62+. Please check in advance for availability. Ticket prices include parking and are subject to applicable fees and day of show increase. All events are rain or shine. Doors 6 p.m. Show 7 p.m.
- Local rockers are also extending the weekend over at Blind Bob's. Catch 3 great alternative rock bands, including The 1984 Draft, The Benchmark's and Alone at 3am from 9 p.m.-12 a.m. Rock'n'roll Mondays... I'm into it!
Wednesday, June 14th
- One of my favorite female rock legends, Ann Wilson from Heart, is in town and performing at Rose Music Center. Really, who doesn't need to hear Barracuda live? Tickets start at $23.50+. Doors 7 p.m. Show 8 p.m.
- Since I made it all the way to Wednesday, I certainly have to give a shout out to my friends at Family Jam Productions who generously host a weekly "Family Dinner Jam" at Therapy Cafe . This Wednesday night tradition is a plug and play jam session that all are welcome to participate in. Plus they serve dinner on the side! Pretty cool! 8 p.m.: doors open/acoustic music starts. 8:30 p.m.: dinner starts. 9 p.m.: open jam.
As always, thank you for supporting live music!
Your Dayton Music Insider,
Note to Readers: The information above is for June 8th-14th, 2017. If I don’t list a price, I’m not sure what the price is. Typically cover charges for local shows are $5. Please click the hyperlinks to find out more about the bands, venues, and events, including start times, directions, and ticket availability. You can keep up with my adventures on Instagram here or on Twitter @LibbyBallengee or @thevenuschild . Cheers!