Here are eight tips from AAA to squeeze as much as you can of the fuel in your tank right now.
- Accelerate gradually. Avoid jackrabbit starts.
- Anticipate your stops. When approaching a red light, let your foot off the gas as early as possible.
- In summer, drive during cooler parts of the day. Cooler, denser air can boost power and mileage.
- Avoid long warm-ups in the morning. They're unnecessary and waste fuel.
- Use air conditioning. Today's air conditioners create less drag on the engine than driving with the windows open.
- Maintain recommended tire pressure. Low pressure reduces fuel economy and can damage tires.
- Keep the air filter clean. Clogged filters reduce fuel economy and increase exhaust emissions.
- Drive the speed limit.