Walmart has committed up to $20 million in support for relief efforts in response to Hurricane Harvey’s devastating impact on the Gulf region. The chain retailer and the Walmart Foundation will give $10 million in support of American Red Cross shelters and $2 million in support of the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund at the Greater Houston Community Foundation.
4. SICSA offers help for Houston; how to help displaced animals
SICSA Pet Adoption Center in Kettering has offered to take animals displaced by Hurricane Harvey. According to a post on SICSA’s Facebook Page, the organization is also one of 24 teams that has offered to send teams to Houston.
5. Beyonce, Streisand to headline Harvey relief telethon
Beyonce, Blake Shelton, Barbra Streisand and Oprah Winfrey will headline a one-hour telethon to benefit Hurricane Harvey victims that will be simulcast next week on ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and CMT. The event will be telecast live at 8 p.m. Eastern on Sept. 12, and on tape delay at 8 p.m. on the West Coast, and streamed live on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter. Houston rap artist Bun B and Scooter Braun, a Hollywood talent manager and founder of SB Projects, are the organizers.
LEARN MORE: Hurricane Harvey: How to help, volunteer, donate and void scams
GUIDE: Be Careful When Donating To Hurricane Harvey
FIVE FAST READS
• Local Habitat for Humanity names new executive director
• Store openings and closings: What's going on in local retail?
• 5 new restaurants and retailers coming to The Greene
• At Home expands in Dayton: 5 things to know about the chain's growth
• Queso is coming to Chipotle next week: 5 things to know