For the first time, Tavern at the Greene will be joining the Miami Valley Restaurant Association’s Winter Restaurant Week Promotion, which runs Jan. 19-26.
Situated on 165 acres, The Tavern at the Greene has a newly renovated full service bar and restaurant that serves modern American tavern cuisine.
>>WINTER RESTAURANT WEEK: Complete list of participating restaurants
Owner Marvin Kidd purchased the former Greene Country Club in 2017 with a vision to create a welcoming club experience, without the membership fees. The Tavern and adjacent event center were completely renovated. Chef Matthew Haury was hired to provide a destination worthy menu and will be showcasing his talents during Winter Restaurant Week.
>>WINTER RESTAURANT WEEK: The best dishes we had at the Sneak Peek to Restaurant Week
The restaurant week promotion was established as a way to generate interest and traffic to local restaurants and help give diners a chance to explore the menu at a more affordable price point.
The seasonal promotion presents an opportunity to sample the best that local restaurants have to offer in the form of three-course meals priced at $20.20, $25.20, or $30.20 at a variety of restaurants all over town.
Here’s a look at just a few of the menus that caught our eye:
>> BEST OF DAYTON: Vote for your favorite new restaurant
🌅 MOST CREATIVE MENU THAT’S ALSO THE MOST GLUTEN-FREE FRIENDLY
Sunrise Cafe, 259 Xenia Ave., Yellow Springs, (937) 767-7211
- Bone, Figs and Hominy: A hearty stew of hominy, aromatics, potatoes and figs simmered in a rich house made bone broth with some Salt-N-Pepa of course. (gf)
- Brit-Tea Spears: Grilled asparagus spears with a drizzle of English breakfast tea gastrique and garnished with lemon braised leeks. (v,gf)
- Brie Dog Flight: Keener farm kielbasa smoked sausage grilled, sliced and served on a smear of brie cheese with a flight of three different sauces. A creole beer mustard, a cider rum glaze and roasted red pepper remoulade. (gf)
- Chuck Berry: Local Keener Farm chuck roast lovingly braised in an aromatic blackberry-red wine reduction until fall apart tender served over roasted garlic mashed potatoes and roasted local organic root veggies. (gf) 30.20
- Hot Tuna with Country Sloe and the Fish: Ahi tuna filet seared until med rare and finished in a Nashville style hot but not too hot sauce. Garnished with house made Alaskan salmon gravlax made with sloe gin, herbs and smoked sea salt. Served on a bed of low country green beans and potatoes with bacon, onions and garlic. (gf) 30.20
- The Black Eye Peas Risotto Featuring The Blue Oyster Salt: Our vegan risotto is made creamy with a puree of black eye peas, white miso and almond milk. Organic arborio rice is sautéed with local oyster mushrooms, kale and a rich mushroom broth. Finished with a seasoning of dried local blue oyster mushrooms and sea salt. (v,gf) 25.20
- Strawberry Fields Forever: Orange scented and strawberry laced shortcake topped with decadent strawberry topping and local whipped cream. Garnished with a chocolate covered strawberry for good measure.
- Cake with the Red Hot Chili Peppers: Three Leees Bakery vegan and gluten free chocolate-chipotle cupcakes served on a bed of vegan vanilla-lime pastry cream.
- Chee-Ona Apple and Smashing Pumpkins: Caramelized apple upside down pumpkin cheesecake.
👀 THE MENU WITH THE BEST VIEW
View 162 Rooftop Restaurant, Crowne Plaza Dayton, 33 E. 5th St., Dayton, (937) 224-0800
- House salad: Mixed greens, cucumbers, red onions, tomato, shredded cheese
- Caesar salad: Romaine, shaved Parmesan cheese and croutons, tossed in Caesar dressing
- Crab cakes: Two crab cakes topped with a chili lime mayo sauce
- Waygu Beef Brisket Sandwich: Slow-smoked Waygu brisket, topped with smoked gouda, applewood bacon, onion straws, and BBQ sauce served with side of waffle fries, $20.20
- Veal Parmesan: Veal cutlets breaded and cooked to perfection, topped with marinara and Parmesan cheese served over pappardelle pasta, $25.20
- Chilean Sea Bass: 6 oz. Chilean sea bass, pan seared and served on top of spaghetti squash and a red pepper marinara, $30.20
- Oreo Cheesecake: Cheesecake with chopped Oreos mixed in and topped with a white chocolate ganache and topped with more Oreos
- Chocolate Lava Cake: Warm chocolate cake with a hot fudge middle, served with vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, and whipped topping.
🍷 A MENU THAT BUYS YOU YOUR FIRST DRINK
The Caroline, 5 S. Market St., Troy, (937) 552-7676
Choice of: Glass of house wine, craft beer on tap or soft drink
- Tossed salad with dressing
- Roasted mushroom and wild rice soup
- Kale salad with apples, walnuts, bleu cheese and an apple vinaigrette
🍛 Entree (choose one)
- 10 oz. sirloin steak with mixed mushrooms, burgundy demo-glaze, cheddar mashed potatoes, $30.20
- 8 oz. certified Angus prime rib, au jus, cheddar mashed potatoes, $24.20
- Jumbo sea scallops fettuccine in a sage and sherry cream sauce, topped with crispy potato straws and a red wine cranberry reduction, $31.20
- Choice of red velvet cake with peppermint ganache or a cherries jubilee cheesecake
🍽️ THE MENU PACKED WITH COMFORT FOODS
Watermark Restaurant, 20 S. First St., Miamisburg, (937) 802-0891
🥗Starter (choose one)
- Southern fried chicken and biscuit slider with house pickles and honey butter
- Green Salad with shaved parmesan, fresh croutons, house-made herbed buttermilk ranch
- Pigs-In-A-Blanket served with a remoulade dip
- Cup of mushroom bisque sprinkled with toasted herbed panko
🍛 Entrée (choose one)
- Fried Green Tomatoes: Crispy breaded green tomatoes, served over mushroom dirty rice with house pepper gravy, $25.20 (vegetarian — can be served vegan)
- Sweet Tea Glazed Pork Chop: Bone-in brined and grilled pork chop with sweet tea glaze over creamy pimento cheese grits with green beans, $30.20
- Creole Spiced Catfish: Pan-seared and served over andouille cornbread dressing and draped with Creole beurre blanc butter, $30.20
- Banana pudding
- Pecan pie cake
>> BEST OF DAYTON: Vote for the best Oregon District restaurant
⛳ A MENU TO EXPLORE
Tavern at the Greene, 920 W. Dayton Yellow Springs Road, Fairborn, (937) 203-3343
It’s new on the scene and the first time participating in restaurant week, which makes it a perfect stop if you are looking to dive into something new.
Three Course Meal for $25.20
🥗Appetizer (choose one)
- Scotch egg: Chef’s special blend of Italian sausage and goetta, wrapped around a soft-boiled egg, rolled in pork rinds, and deep fried to perfection and served with curry mustard sauce
- Salmon potato cake: Crispy pan-fried potato cake topped with dill farmers cheese and black pepper smoked salmon
🍛 Entrée (choose one)
- Tavern Sheppard’s pie: Guinness braised beef short rib, English peas, butternut squash, carrots, and celery, topped with Boursin mashed potatoes and baked to golden brown.
- Potato wrapped salmon: Seared potato wrapped salmon on a bed of leek hay, topped with mango tarragon sauce, served with roasted Brussels sprouts, feta and an agave balsamic reduction, paired with Tavern truffle parmesan potato wedges
- Barbecued Jackfruit sandwich: Grilled jackfruit basted with barbecue sauce, piled high with crispy onion strings, on a brioche bun, served with roasted Brussels sprouts, feta and an agave balsamic reduction, paired with Tavern truffle parmesan sweet potato wedges
- Bourbon chocolate ganache campfire ice cream
- Creamy chocolate ice cream topped with a bourbon chocolate ganache, graham cracker, mini chocolate bar and a toasted marshmallow
🍗 THE MENU THAT OFFERS TWO DINNERS FOR $30.20
Chappy’s Social House, 7880 Washington Village Drive, Centerville, (937) 439-9200
- 1/3 Slab Slow Smoked BBQ Ribs
- Pork Chop (7oz.) — Beer Brined or Grilled
- Sirloin Steak (5 oz.)
- Bourbon Glazed Salmon ( 5oz.)
- Mahi Mahi (5 oz.) — Grilled or Blackened
- Beer Battered Cod (5 oz.)
- Two Beer Battered Chicken Tenders
- Chicken Breast (6 oz.) — Smothered, Grilled, Blackened, or BBQ
- 1⁄2 Smoked Chicken
- Chappys Fried Chicken – two piece White or Dark
All entries are served with the choice of two sides as well as choice of soup or salad and dessert.