The numbers don't lie ...
200+ craft beers
More than 1,000 people
AleFest Dayton is a big deal and a lot goes into it, but the beer week events leading up to it are every bit as exciting.
>>PLAN AHEAD: AleFest Dayton turns 21 with a big birthday bash
"Ohio is top 10 nationally in craft beer consumption, reflected in the incredible growth of breweries throughout the state," said AleFest Chairman Joe Waizmann. "Craft beer is an incredibly creative category of beer owing its roots to Western Europe, principally Belgium, Germany and the UK, known as The Cradle of Brewing Civilization. Craft beer continues to bring people together in a sharing and fun way."
Waizmann will be putting on AleFest Dayton this Saturday, Aug. 24 at the Dayton Convention Center, but he's also been instrumental in putting together the events during Dayton Beer Week leading up to Saturday's festivities.
Here's a look at what's going on for the rest of the week and how to get involved:
🍺 Wednesday, Aug. 21
- Fifth Street Brewpub : Hop Picking Party. Come pick fresh hop cones off the bines brought in from Little Miami Farms for Fifth Street Brewpub's fresh hop beer brewed the following day. You pick the cones and they will gift you half off FSB beers. No picking experience necessary. Also at Fifth Street Brewpub are $12 growler fills. Take home a growler of your favorite FSB beer. Bring in a growler or buy one at FSB. For more info, call (937) 443-0919.
- Branch & Bone Artisan Ales: All Sour Tap Takeover featuring some old favorites making a return and some new soon-to-be favorites making a debut. A few of interest are Soft Temple and Bomb Pop Berliner returning. The event starts at 4 p.m. and goes until 10 p.m.
- Bunkers Sports Bar & Grill : Breckenridge tap takeover featuring their new release, Strawberry Sky Kolsch and other favorites.
- Ziggy’s : Breckenridge tap takeover featuring their new release, Strawberry Sky Kolsch and other favorites.
- Eudora Brewing Company : Dayton Beer Week Trivia with DJ Bear starting at 7 p.m.
- Warped Wing Brewing Company : Cornhole Tournament with Gem City Social Sports. $5 per player or $10 per team. 6:30-9 p.m.
- Jimmie’s Ladder 11 : Warped Wednesday at Jimmie’s.
- The Caroline : Beer dinner at 7 p.m.
- Barrel House : Wu Tang Wednesday featuring premium beer showcase featuring limited beers from Bell’s Brewing, Clown Shoes, Troëgs Brewing and Epic Brew Co.
- Dorothy Lane Market Springboro : Beginning at 5 p.m., enjoy a special pint night and tap takeover from North High. Rare North High beers to be showcased and swag and glasses to be given away.
- Hairless Hare Brewery : From 4 p.m. to close, Little Hare Cream Ale Variants. We will be releasing three new variants of our Little Hare Cream Ale. The three flavors are Blueberry, Raspberry and Strawberry.
- Pour Haus : Annual dunk tank event beginning at 6 p.m.
- Miami Valley Wine & Spirits: Beginning at 5 p.m., Jackie O’s & Fat Heads, rare and vintage beer showcase.
- Heather’s Café : Beer bingo featuring Short’s Brewing Co. starting at 7 p.m. 🍺 Thursday, Aug. 22
- Lucky’s Taproom & Eatery : Bingo beginning at 7 p.m. with proceeds benefiting the shooting victims through The Dayton Foundation Fund. Participating breweries include: 50 West, MadTree, Fathead’s, Rhinegeist, Bell’s, and Hi Wire. A rep from each brewery will call a round of bingo, prizes being brewery swag. $2 from every pint sold will be donated, $1 (minimal donation) bingo card buy in as well as raffle ticket sales and 50/50 will also be donated. Lucky’s will match all bingo, raffle and 50/50 revenues.
- Fifth Street Brewpub: Beer release from their BSF (Beers with a Short Future) experimental series. They’ll tap a lemon shandy and a lime shandy.
- Jimmie’s Ladder 11: Host New Belgium Brewery for a night of IPAs and custom hat pressing.
- Trolley Stop: SweetWater Brewing Company beer sampling.
- Eudora Brewing Company: Eudora & Ghostlight cookie pairing beginning at 7 p.m. featuring fresh baked cookies from Ghostlight Coffee. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased via the Eudora Brewing Company Facebook page or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brewfontaine: Masthead and Jackie O’s tap takeover beginning at 5 p.m.
- Smith’s Boathouse: North High beer dinner with Luke Owens from the brewery beginning at 6 p.m.
- Bunkers Sports Bar & Grill: Bell’s Brewery and New Holland event at 5 p.m.
- Chappys Social House: Bell's Brewery bingo beginning at 7 p.m.
- Whole Foods: 5-7 p.m. Troëgs pint night and sampling.
- Hairless Hare Brewery: From 4 p.m. to close, Cold War Russian Imperial Stout will be released with Black Cherry, Mixed Berry, Raspberry and Tangerine. There will only be one keg of each.
- Hidden Valley Orchard: Beginning at 6 p.m., featuring Short’s Brewing S’mores Stout by the fire pit.
- Pies & Pints: Beginning at 5 p.m., Fat Heads & Founders Annual Pies & Pints Party.
🍺 Friday, Aug. 23
- Buck and Ear (Xenia): Taft’s Tap Takeover
- Jimmie’s Ladder 11: Rhinegeist keep the pint from 6-8 p.m.
- Crooked Handle Brewing Company: Beginning at Noon, release of CHBC Lemon Coffee Cake Cream Ale.
- Bud’s Pizza: Bell’s Brewing Company tap takeover.
- Bunkers Sports Bar & Grill: Wiedemann’s and North High Brewing
- Dorothy Lane Market Centerville: North High Brewing with six beers on tap
- FigLeaf Brewing Company: New fruited Cider variants and two new fruited beers will be released
- Trolley Stop: Trolley’s Annual Red Carpet event.
🍺 Weeklong events
- Lock 27 Brewing: Launching a new brew every day of Dayton Beer Week leading up to the launch of Locktoberfest on Aug. 23 when they’ll feature “keep the stein” nights in both brewpubs.
- Lucky Star Brewery : Enjoy craft beers, authentic Mexican food and top shelf tequilas. Live local music on the 17, 23 and 24 and a new beer release on the 23.
🍺 Saturday, Aug. 24
- 21st Annual AleFest Dayton: More than 250 international craft beers featuring rare package beers, casks, & draft rarities. Beers will be grouped by broad style category, i.e. Hoppy, Barrel Aged, Belgian, Malty, Sour, Lager, Cask, Quaffable, Wine & Cider, etc. More info: www.AleFest.com
- Fifth Street Brewpub : Helles lager bottle release.
The 21st Annual AleFest Dayton will be held from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24, at the Dayton Convention Center, 22 E. Fifth St. in downtown Dayton. It will feature regional and international craft beers, and plenty to choose from, along with live music and food. The event will feature a variety of vintage and rare beers.
AleFest Dayton is Ohio's longest running craft beer festival. General admission allows attendees to sample from an assortment of more than 200 beers. Live music will be provided by The Fries.
General admission tickets are $45 in advance, $50 at the door. “VIP” tickets allow for entry an hour early, at 3 p.m., and cost $60 in advance, $65 at the door. Each admission includes 20 samples of craft beer, a commemorative tasting glass, a sampling guide, food samples and live entertainment. A silent auction also will be held.
Advance tickets may be purchased online at alefest.com . A portion of the proceeds benefit the event’s nonprofit partners, which include the Dayton Area Rugby Club, Five Rivers Youth Rugby Foundation, Alzheimer’s Association Miami Valley Chapter, Bike Miami Valley, Dayton Ballet, Dayton Art Institute, and UpDayton. In addition, a portion of proceeds will go to the Dayton Tornado Relief Initiative as well as the Oregon District Tragedy Fund.
Dayton Daily News and Dayton.com reporter Mark Fisher contributed to this report.