It’s strawberry time!
Always held the first weekend in June, the Troy Strawberry Festival marks the beginning of the region’s summer food fests, and it’s a biggie, attracting up to 150,000.
>> RELATED: 10 festivals we cannot wait for
Here are 5 things to know before you go:
1. About 200 vendors will be selling all sorts of goodies. You’ll find strawberry pie, of course, as well as shortcake, chicken wings, cheesecake, brats, smoothies and chocolate-covered strawberries. But that’s only the beginning, so bring lots of cash. Booths will be located both downtown around the Public Square (be sure to check out the “strawberry fountain”) and on the river levee just a short walk down the Market Street bridge.
2. Strawberry donuts are the most popular item. Made by the Troy Music Boosters, the donuts are always a hot-seller at $10 a dozen. If you want donuts, go early and stock up (they typically sell out Sunday afternoon. Hint hint: they freeze well. The donuts will be sold on the visitors side of Troy Memorial Stadium, located near the river levee. Grab a festival map at the info booths.
3. There will be more than strawberries to eat. Burgers, hot dogs, barbecue chicken and sandwiches, fish, sweet corn and other typical festival fare are also on the menu. The food booths at the festival are run by or in partnership with non-profits throughout Troy, so by eating these treats you are also supporting community groups.
4. You’ll find plenty of non-food items for sale. If you love crafts and handmade goods, you will find TONS of booths with indoor and outdoor home decor, clothing for adults, children and even dolls, things for pets, candles and so much more.
>> What to know about the 2018 Strawberry Queen
5. Parking. Where to park? Where to park? Festival organizers prefer patrons take the free shuttles -- parking downtown will be few and far between. “It’s the easiest way to get to the festival,” said event organizer Debbie Char. Shuttles, which will run continuously both days of the festival, transport from the following locations:
- WACO Field, 1865 S. County Road 25-A, Troy. Take I-75 to Exit 69 and follow the signs).
- The Miami County Fairgrounds, 650 N. County Road 25-A, Troy. Take I-75 to Exit 78 and follow the signs to the shuttles).
- Hobart Corp./ITW Food Equipment (handicap accessible parking, only handicap accessible pickup), 701 South Ridge Ave., Troy. Take I-75 to Exit 73 and follow the signs to the shuttles.
- Shuttles will also travel to and from the Troy Courthouse and Troy Memorial Stadium.
The shuttles are free and will drop off near the courthouse. Shuttle hours are 9:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday and 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday.
WANT TO GO?
What: Troy Strawberry Festival
When: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, June 2; and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, June 3
Where: Troy downtown and Great Miami River levee
Admission: Free. Parking, shuttle service available (watch for signs).
Festival location: Beautiful historic Downtown Troy and along the Great Miami River Levee, Troy.
Cost: Free to attend.
More info: 937-339-7714 or www.gostrawberries.com
Facebook Page | @troyberryfest on Twitter and Instagram | Share your photos using the hashtags #troyberryfest #tbf and #strawberrypalooza