“He had people he could stay with in Europe so he would live there for weeks and weeks,” Romie continued. “He’s pretty well-connected over there but he’s domesticated now so he wanted to take a break from everything and that worked out for us.”
Rather than his normal blues band, Carney will be performing with his sideband the Joint Rockers.
“Sean started playing with the Joint Rockers probably 20 years ago,” Romie said. “I’m not exactly clear on the time but he was pretty young and that’s when he first started playing the blues. He had two uncles that played in the band. Uncle Dave West is the one that got Sean into the blues. He’s still playing in the band and he’s a fine drummer.
“Another uncle, Dan West, fronted the band and sang but he has retired from performing,” Romie continued. “Sean fronts the band now and they still have the same bass player, Sammy Williams. He’s been with them a long time and he’s a great guy.”
In addition to emcee Earl “Southside” Hayes and performances by the Joint Rockers, Sonny Moorman and Eldorado Brown, Big Brews and Blues features a wide selection of craft beers, food trucks and other vendors.
>> RELATED: Must-see concerts in and around Dayton
The event will offer a selection of draught craft beer for sampling and full tasting, including local and Ohio breweries.
Ticket packages include:
- General admission: $20 (entry at the gate includes and souvenir mini pilsner glass, available for pickup as you exit the event).
- Gate Tasting Ticket: $40 (available for purchase at the entrance to the event and includes event entry and 15 beer sampling tickets with a commemorative tasting glass).
- Presale Tasting Ticket: $35 (available online in advance and includes event entry and 15 beer sampling tickets with a commemorative tasting glass).
- VIP Tasting Ticket: $50 (available online and at the office. This includes 5 additional beer sampling tickets (20 total) with a commemorative tasting glass plus one-hour early entrance to the event).
“The beer tasting is a big attraction and people love the music but a lot of them come out just to support Diabetes Dayton and that includes me,” Romie said. “I don’t charge them anything. I’ve always been one for doing benefits. It’s a good cause because diabetes is crippling and killing as many people as cancer. It’s nice to be able to walk out of the Dayton Diabetes event with an empty wallet but a full heart.”
Food Trucks & Vendors on site, according to the event’s Facebook page, include: El Meson, PA’s Pork as well as a hamburger cart.
>> RELATED: 12 must-try signature Dayton beers
Want to go?
WHAT: Diabetes Dayton’s 8th annual Dayton Big Brews and Blues with Sonny Moorman, Eldorado Brown and Sean Carney & the Joint Rockers
WHERE: RiverScape MetroPark, 237 E. Monument Ave., Dayton
WHEN: 5 p.m. Saturday, May 20
COST: $35 in advance, $40 at the door. $50 VIP admission, $20 general admission
MORE INFO: 937-220-6611 or www.diabetesdayton.org
A few portions of downtown roads will be temporarily closed this Saturday, May 20, to accommodate the Big Brews & Blues event at RiverScape MetroPark.
Closed from 1 p.m. until 11:59 p.m. on May 20:
• Monument Avenue from Jefferson Street to Patterson Boulevard
• St. Clair Street from First Street to Monument Avenue
• Harries Street from the parking garage to Monument Avenue