Whether you prefer to paddle or pedal, climb or camp, the Wagner Subaru Outdoor Experience is the place to be.
Outdoor enthusiasts of all ages can embark on a new adventure, watch thrilling demonstrations, pick up some much-needed gear or just relax and enjoy some toe-tapping tunes and a cool beverage at the annual celebration of all things outdoors Oct. 5-6. The Midwest’s premier outdoor adventure festival welcomed more than 20,000 guests to Eastwood MetroPark last year.
“The Wagner Subaru Outdoor Experience helps to grow Dayton’s outdoor adventure culture by bringing people together to see, learn and experience all the outdoor recreation opportunities the region has to offer,” said Angela York, Five Rivers MetroParks special events coordinator.
Mountain biking — check.
Fishing — check.
Kayaking — check.
Disc golf, slacklining, orienteering — check, check and check.
There will be more than 20 outdoor activities to try, all free of charge.
>> PHOTOS: Did we spot you at last year’s Outdoor X?
“Dayton was recently recognized as America’s newest adventure capital, and the Wagner Subaru Outdoor Experience is really a celebration of that,” said Brent Anslinger, MetroParks outdoor recreation manager. “We’re showcasing all of the wonderful outdoor recreation assets we have in our community and we want people to leave the event feeling empowered and inspired to get out and explore our wealth of greenspace and trails in the region.”
With so much to see and experience, it might be tough to decide what to try first. MetroParks staff weigh-in on the Wagner Subaru Outdoor Experience bucket list for guests of all ages and experience levels.
TOP 5 MUST-DOS FOR FAMILIES
• Get active by trying paddlesports, cycling, mountain biking, slacklining and more.
• Explore the Youth Adventure Zone and attend a program at the Huffy Youth Outdoor School.
• Ride the rollers on the Mad River Mountain Pumptrack.
• Watch the action at the Mad River Run supported by Whitewater Warehouse and Surf Dayton with pros throwing tricks and competing in a variety of competitions.
• Enter the Rock the Night Hunt for a chance to win more than $500 in prizes from Great Miami Outfitters.
TOP 5 MUST-DOS FOR PEOPLE WITH DOGS
And if the family’s furry friend wants to be part of the fun, OutdoorX is a dog-friendly event with an off-leash dog park and a pooch parking area to leave your puppy while you try your hand at the outdoor adventure activities.
• Go for a stroll on the off-leash dog park on Pooch Island.
• Take your dog to the selfie station, paw art, and bone bar at the Best Breed Pooch Playground supported by the Humane Society.
• Run with your pooch in the Ruff Run 5K hosted by Runners Plus.
• Park you dog with Pooch Parking supported by Wagtown where you can drop your dog off for 30 minutes while you do another activity.
• Enter your dog in the Subaru Dock Dogs competition.
TOP 5 MUST-DOS FOR SEASONED OUTDOOR ADVENTURERS
• Explore the exhibitor village and connect with national brands in the Osprey Backcountry Zone brought to you by Great Miami Outfitters.
• Stop by the merchandise tent so you can show off you love of Dayton, Ohio — The Outdoor Adventure Capital of the Midwest — year-round.
• Enter a competition like the SUP Surf or NAPRA Wade Fishing Tournament.
• Sell or donate your used gear at the Used Gear Area managed by Dayton Hikers benefiting Five Rivers MetroParks Foundation.
• Increase your skills by attending a session in the Outdoor School.
>> BEST OF DAYTON: Fitness, Outdoors & Recreation winners
TOP 5 MUST-DOS FOR 20- AND 30-SOMETHINGS ATTENDING WITH FRIENDS
• Make it a weekend and camp Friday and Saturday night.
• Connect with local outdoor clubs and meet up groups like Dayton Hikers.
• Hang out with friends in the Great Lakes Beer Garden and listen to live music.
• Float down the Mad River supported by Twin Creek Canoe & Kayak Livery.
• Surf the Mad River Run whitewater feature in inflatable kayaks supported by Whitewater Warehouse.
>> BEST OF DAYTON: Best places for a bike ride
WANT TO GO?
What: 2019 Wagner Subaru Outdoor Experience, a Five Rivers MetroParks event
When: Saturday, Oct. 5, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. and Sunday, Oct. 6., 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
Where: Eastwood MetroPark, 1385 Harshman Road, Dayton
Cost: Admission and parking are free
More: In keeping with the event’s waste-free initiative, food will be served on compostable serviceware and plastic water bottles will not be sold. Guests should bring their own non-glass cup or purchase a steel cup at the event. Free water will be available.