More than 150 locations in the Dayton region are noted with an Ohio Historical Marker to note the people and the places that shaped the state's and the nation's history. Here are 15 that are worth the drive to check out.
Greene County | 795 Livermore Street, Yellow Springs
Under the leadership of educational pioneer Horace Mann, Antioch College was chartered in 1852 by the Christian Church. In 1978, Antioch College reincorporated as Antioch University, a multi-campus system headquartered in Yellow Springs.
Recommended for you
Recommended for you
Recommended for you
Butler County Courthouse
Butler County | 101 High Street, Hamilton
The currently standing courthouse was the third courthouse built on this site. The four-story structure was built from 1885-89. It has survived a flood, a fire, and many storms. The courthouse temporarily was used as a morgue when over 200 people died in the area from flooding in 1913.
Cedar Bog Native Preserve
Champaign County | 980 Woodburn Road, Urbana
Cedar Bog was the first nature preserve in Ohio purchased with state funds in 1942. One quarter of Ohio’s plant species are found here. Cedar Bog has a large number of rare species, a few of which can only be found at the Bog and one other site.
Greene County | 1120 U.S. 42, Wilberforce
Charles Young, born enslaved March 12, 1864, was the highest-ranking African-American line officer for most of his military career. Young was the third black graduate of West Point and for almost four decades was the last. Young served with the 9th and 10th Calvary “Buffalo Soldiers” and as a Professor of Military Science at Wilberforce University.
Eldean Covered Bridge
The bridge was first constructed in 1860 and originally known as the Allen’s Mill Bridge. It stands as one of Ohio’s longest covered bridges and was recently restored in 2005-06.
Warren County | 23 North St, Harveysburg
Harveysburg is a Quaker village originally founded in 1829. William Harvey, a North Carolina Quaker, developed 47 lots for a village that has been successful since their beginning. Some of the early businesses were a blacksmith shop, a bank, a pork packing plant, a tin shop and a dry goods store owned by William Harvey.
Clark County | 117 S. Fountain Avenue, Springfield
The Heritage Center of Clark County was finished in 1890 at the cost of $250,000. The first floor of the building was used as a city market where meats, vegetables and other products were sold. The second and third floors accommodated offices, the police departments, City Hall, and the City Council Chamber.
Johnny S. Black
Butler County | Corner of Dayton St. and Riverfront Plaza, Hamilton
Black was a songwriter who wrote the classic “Paper Doll." “Paper Doll” sold over six million records and is considered a classic from the WWII era. Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and many other artist have recorded “Paper Doll,” and the song was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1998.
Marion A. Ross
Champaign County | SW corner of W. Pike Street and Wilson Street, Christiansburg
Marion Ross of Christiansburg was born Oct. 9, 1832. He enlisted in the 2nd Ohio Volunteer infantry regiment and volunteered for Andrew’s Raid. Ross was captured and executed during the raid and was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously. He is buried in the National Cemetery in Chattanooga.
Montgomery County | 525 West Riverview Avenue, Dayton
The first Masonic Lodge in Dayton was founded in 1808. The rapid growth of the Masonic community through World War I called for a new lodge building. From 1925-28 the new lodge building was constructed using large quantities of marble, and mahogany and cherry woods.
Miami and Erie Canal
Miami County | 325 E Main Street, Tipp City
The Miami and Erie Canal was vital to the development of the region in the early 19th century. It allowed farmers and businessmen to transport their goods at lower cost and higher speeds than by land. The canal was constructed from 1833-37.
Clark County | 1311 West Main Street, Springfield
Pennsylvania House was constructed in 1839 along with National Road. It served as a tavern and inn for livestock drivers and pioneers traveling by foot. After the Civil War, the building closed as an Inn and was then used as a doctor’s clinic.
Rossville Historic District
Butler County | Ross Avenue & South B Street, Hamilton
Rossville was named in honor of Sen. James Ross, who advocated Ohio statehood and navigation of inland rivers. Rossville was settled in 1801, preceded by the U.S. Government initiating land sales west of the Great Miami River.
Warren County | 210 W. Main Street, Lebanon
Thomas Corwin was a successful politician in the early 19th Century. He was elected Ohio governor in 1940, and served six terms in Congress and one in the Senate. He also campaigned for William Henry Harrison in his successful presidential victory that year. The Corwin home is representative of Federal-style architecture of this period.
Wayman Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Montgomery County | 3317 Hoover Ave, Dayton
The First AME Church in Dayton traces its roots back to the 1830s. Originally the congregation consisted of just a few faithful men and women, who after a few moves finally settled on Eaker Street. The church was dedicated in the early 1870’s.