Fixed on one of the Great Miami’s most scenic waterways is Wesleyan MetroPark, a surprisingly natural escape within Dayton’s urban territory. It’s about to get a lot bigger.
Five Rivers MetroParks recently closed a land acquisition deal that secured the expansion of Wesleyan MetroPark by 45.8 acres. The added space includes ponds, new accesses to portions of Wolf Creek and opportunities to connect existing sections of the Wolf Creek bike trail.
>>PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Five Rivers MetroParks wants to increase the size of Wesleyan MetroPark
The land was purchased from Calvary Mission Church through a Clean Ohio conservation grant and also, a “significant” donation from the church.
“Calvary Mission Church dreamed of this green space becoming a destination where the community could enjoy the outdoors,” said Eric Sauer, MetroParks planning manager. “By incorporating this space into an existing MetroPark, we can expand park amenities and connect trails, in addition to activating the space and making it accessible to the community, which is what the church envisioned.”
The addition of the new green space will be handled with careful planning by the MetroParks, according to a MetroParks press release. Over the next several months, the land will be cleaned up and entrances will be selected to “ensure neighborhood pedestrians have access to the area.”
Until a site plan is completed, rangers will monitor the area, which will be considered a MetroParks’ conservation area. Designated conservation zones within the MetroParks are managed to create a habitat for plants and wildlife to take precedence.
Wesleyan MetroPark is located at 1441 Wesleyan Road, Dayton and is one of Five Rivers MetroParks’ 18 “clean, safe parks.”