The Big Game is Sunday and local and national retailers have come up with plenty of creative ideas to provide you with the nourishment that viewers will need to sustain themselves through the day and late into the night. Grocery stores have come up with all kinds of Super Bowl-themed special offers to attract shoppers’ dollars and take advantage of one of the busiest entertaining nights of the year.
The pitches are front and center in the advertising inserts in Sunday’s Dayton Daily News, where, sure enough, retailers jumped on the game theme with both feet. Here are some samples of what we found:
• Kroger is getting into the spirit of the weekend requesting that shoppers “Tackle Big Savings!”
If you buy three bags of Lay’s Family Size Potato Chips with a loyalty card you can get a real deal ($1.49 each).
Download coupons that can be used five times at Kroger.com and combine with the loyalty card to stock up on bags (2.5 pounds) of Chicken Party Wings ($4.99) or Red Baron Pizza ($1.99 each).
• Dorothy Lane Market has “Super Snack Savings FOR THE WIN,” Feb. 2 and 3.
A 12-inch Bavarian Pretzel & Beer Cheese Tray ($7.99) is a sure party pleaser. Smoked chicken wings ($6.99 a pound) are made with antibiotic-free, vegetarian-fed chicken and smoked in the store. And DLM Kettle Cooked Potato Chips ($1.99, limit 2) are perfect if you need something quick and easy but delicious.
• Meijer says it will “make Sunday super” in its weekly ad.
Shop fast – Feb.1 and 2 – for Chi-Chi’s salsa (16-ounce) and vegetable or fruit trays (20- to 22-ounce) both buy one, get one half off. A tray of 48 cookies ($8.99) is perfect for parties
• Want to make guacamole Sunday? Aldi has large Hass avocados (49 cents each). Fresh St. Louis style spareribs ($1.99 per pound) are available while quantities last and wash that all down with 2-liter Coca Cola (4 for $5).
• Sunday’s weather will be perfect for grilling and Dot’s Market, touting itself as a “game day headquarters,” has a variety of meat on sale.
Stock up on Beef Loin T-Bone Steak ($6.99 a pound), Johnsonville Brats or Italian Links ($3.99 for a 19-ounce package) or Whole Boneless Pork Loin (8-10 pound loins for $1.69 per pound).
• The new Marc’s store in Kettering, 2100 E. Whipp Road, has “big deals for the BIG GAME.”
Doritos or Tostitos Tortilla Chips (2 for $4.29) and Town House and Club Crackers (2 for $5) are available in assorted varieties and 6-ounce bags of no shells Pistachios (2 for $10) are available in lightly salted, roasted and salted varieties.
• Fresh Thyme Farmers Market has everything you need to make nachos. Organic tortilla chips or salsa (2 for $6), all natural 85 percent lean ground beef ($2.99 a pound), natural cheese shreds, bar or sour cream (2 for $4) and roma tomatoes (99 cents a pound).