Mike, Martha and Norman Foy photographed in 1975 at their Fairborn store. DAYTON DAILY NEWS / WRIGHT STATE UNIVERSITY SPECIAL COLLECTIONS
1. Mike Foy’s grandfather, Albert, opened a sweet shop bakery in Versailles in 1912 that he owned for 17 years before selling it to the current owners, who still have it open for business.
2. In 1929, Albert opened up the variety store in Osborn, which later became Fairborn.
3. Albert chose Fairborn because of the boulevards that used to be downtown. And it wasn’t too far from the original shop in Versailles.
4. Mike’s father Norman took over the stores in the 1940s, then Mike became partner in 1978. Mike’s 22-year-old son will be the fourth generation to take over the stores.
Customers crowded the aisles of Foy's store in Fairborn in 1983. Norman Foy (left) dressed as a clown and his son Mike dressed as a vampire as they assisted customers. DAYTON DAILY NEWS ARCHIVE
5. Mike grew up in and around Fairborn and still to this day only lives a few miles away in a renovated church.
6. There are six different stores including the variety store, kids costume store, adult costume store, haunted house and special effects store, restaurant and haunted museum.
7. Mike’s wife Darla runs the costume store and their son runs the haunted museum.
8. Mike bought his grandmother’s house one block away from the store, that no one has lived in for 30 years, and the property across the street for the pirate scene just to decorate it for Halloween each year.
9. Mike has eight hearses that he uses for Halloween. When the hearses come out, the community knows it’s Halloween time.
Foy’s Halloween Store in Fairborn is the destination for Halloween needs in Dayton year-round. Owner Mike Foy shows off some of the store's top-selling items. Foy’s is a series of seven shops in downtown Fairborn including costume stores for adults and children, a Halloween store and haunted house stores. BROOKE SPURLOCK/STAFF
10. Mike personally picks out and orders each item for the stores.
11. Foy’s gets costumes in year round and new items in each day. It is Halloween year-round at Foy’s.
>> When is trick-or-treating in your community?