Fifth Third Bank will close five area branches in coming weeks, a bank spokeswoman said Wednesday.
The branches will close Jan. 6 or 7, Fifth Third spokeswoman Beth Oates said.
The branches to be closed are:
- 5750 N. Main St., Dayton
- 155 N. Heincke Road, Miamisburg
- 2115 E. Dorothy Lane, Kettering
- 5400 N. Cornerstone Blvd., Centerville
- 3420 Towne Blvd., Middletown
Oates said all affected employees will have the opportunity to remain with the bank.
She also listed some of the nearest branch locations to the branches scheduled to close. They are:
- 6301 Wilmington Pike, Centerville
- 1032 Patterson Road, Dayton
- 120 Alexandersville Road, Miamisburg
- 2250 Shiloh Springs, Trotwood
- 915 Elliott Drive, Middletown
“We evaluate our branch network on an ongoing basis,” Oates said. “The key driver is looking at consumer preferences and how they want to bank. The analysis includes a matrix of dozens of variables when assessing any branch or potential location. Consumer banking behaviors are a significant consideration, as we strive to meet their needs in the time, place and channel they desire.”
Fifth Third is not alone. According to S&P Global Market Intelligence, banks closed a record 3,324 branches nationwide last year, while opening 1,040, for a net loss of 2,284 branches.
The COVID-19 pandemic and the online banking habits of Millennials, who became the largest generation in the workforce five years ago, are two of the chief reasons why.
About the Author