“Tenants which have failed to evolve in order to satisfy an increasingly savvy consumer do not belong in our assets,” said Lou Conforti, Washington Prime’s CEO.
The Mall at Fairfield Commons is different than other store closures, not appearing on any lists, but closing as a result of mall ownership negotiating an early lease termination.
»RELATED: How to protect yourself from cyber thieves this shopping season
Liquidation sales at the Piqua mall began this month and its expected closing date is in February.
Sears Holdings hasn’t seen a profitable year since 2010 and has announced round after round of store closures in recent years.
»Store hours: Here’s when retailers will open for Thanksgiving, Black Friday sales
“I’ve shopped here for tools, and once you’ve got them, I think that’s part of the downfall, they last forever,” said Larry Beaudry of Springboro.
Elder-Beerman and Toys “R” Us also went out of business this year.
FIVE FAST READS
• Area stores training employees using Virtual Reality
• 5 ways new tech will change your holiday shopping experience this year
• Store hours: Here’s when retailers will open for Thanksgiving, Black Friday sales
• Amazon plans to split HQ2 between two cities
• Ohio shifting red could impact federal resource allocation