Elsa’s Sports Grill at 1216 E. Stroop Road in Kettering hopes to resume bar service on Tuesday, Oct. 25, and limited food service the following day on Wednesday after fire damaged the restaurant’s kitchen ventilation system Sunday morning.
A spokesman for the restaurant described the damage from the fire as “minimal.” The fire was caused by faulty wiring in exhaust hoods, according to a Kettering Fire Department spokesman who estimated damage at $40,000 to $50,000. Elsa’s won’t be able to serve any menu items that are fried “for a while,” the restaurant’s spokesman said.
Crews from Kettering, Washington Twp. and Dayton responded to the restaurant.
A Kettering fire official told our Breaking News Team that two employees were inside working when the fire started. The cause was not known.
The employees attempted to put the fire out then called 9-1-1. Crews encountered heavy white smoke in the kitchen but were able to douse the fire quickly.