Boy bitten by rattlesnake after mistaking it for toy

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Combined ShapeCaption
Boy Bitten by Snake After Mistaking It for Toy

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

A 5-year-old boy is recovering at a hospital after being bitten by a rattlesnake in DeBary, Florida.

>> Read more trending news

Volusia County investigators said Tampa resident Elijah Vaughn, 5, and his family were at a relative's house on Fort Florida Point Road on Saturday after leaving a funeral.

Vaughn and his mother went outside so the boy could play on the jungle gym in the yard, deputies said.

When Vaughn approached the jungle gym, he walked underneath the platform and saw what he thought was a toy snake.

As the boy reached for the snake, it bit him on the right index finger, according to a police report. His mother rushed Vaughn to meet with deputies and he was taken to Central Florida Regional Hospital, where he received anti-venom treatment, investigators said.

Vaughn was then taken to Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children.

Officials said the boy's swelling had not spread down his arm and was primarily on his hand and wrist.

The snake, believed to be a pygmy rattlesnake, was caught and killed.

About the Author