On implementation of the new code, beginning February 2020, all local calls will require dialing the full 10- or 11-digit phone number in order to complete local calls.
To prepare for the change, beginning August 10, 2019, customers are encouraged to begin 10- or 11-digit dialing for all local calls so that it is second nature when it becomes necessary come February.
The PUCO has listed a few more important facts about the area code overlay:
- Calls currently considered local calls will remain local calls. Calls between 937 and 326 are local calls.
- Long-distance calling will not change.
- 911 and other three-digit numbers (211, 311, 411, 811, etc.), if available in the local community, will not change.
- Customers should begin or continue to identify their phone number with the area code
- Customers are encouraged to update any saved contacts, speed dials, business cards, personal checks, preprogrammed alarm devices, etc. to include the area code + telephone number format.
The North American Numbering Plan Administrator identified a plan with the PUCO to implement the new area code with the existing geographical boundaries of the 937 area code.
A copy of the Commission finding and order is available on the PUCO's website at www.PUCO.ohio.gov. Click on the link to Docketing Information System and enter the case number 17-2329-TP-COI.