“We’re really happy about this year’s lineup, and are proud of the hard work our speakers have put into getting ready for the talk of their lives,” said John Owen, co-chair of this year’s event, in a news release. “Nearly 200 people applied to give talks this year. We’re working with an outstanding group.”
Here are the people who will appear on this year’s TEDxDayton stage:
• Amateur photographer Adam Alonzo will talk about how to see and appreciate the beauty all around us.
• Performer Montrea Blackshear will lead Dayton's own TRSS Drum Corps in a show-stopping blizzard of percussion.
• Tiffany Clark, a painter and mural artist, will talk about how creating public art helped her beat drug addiction.
• Educator Kevin "Mister C" Cornell will show how to get kids excited about learning science.
• Radio personality Faith Daniels will talk about the dangers of depression within the broadcast industry.
• Attorney Barbara Duncombe will talk about her career journey from typist to rainmaker, fighting gender bias along the way.
• Mark Fogel, a former Air Force pilot, will talk about how trust is built between a jet-fighter pilot and his wingman.
• Student and TEDxYouth@Dayton performer Shawn Gardner will perform one of his own original spoken-word compositions.
• Student and TEDxYouth@Dayton performer Yash Gupta will perform his special brand of beatbox.
• Physician Andre Harris will talk about how hormones can affect our health, happiness – and sex life.
• Elizabeth Horner will talk about the journey a family takes when a child tells their parents they're transgender.
• Survivor John-Michael Lander will talk about the hidden world of sexual abuse of elite male athletes.
• Organizer Rose Lounsbury will talk about how to strip away all the clutter that surrounds you and live a minimalist lifestyle.
• Journalist Ray Marcano will talk about the two things that are the greatest threats to American democracy.
• Engineer Dennis Ong will unlock the mysterious workings of the next great change in cybersecurity – blockchain.
• Tony Award-winning actor Alice Ripley will talk about how she transforms into a character, and how to apply those skills to your own life.
Credit: Andrew H. Walker
Credit: Andrew H. Walker
• Michael Roush will talk about all the things he's learned about life, family and love from his autistic daughter.
• Programmer Adam Sobol will talk about how technology can help people with dementia continue to lead fulfilling lives.
• Veterinarian Julie Servaites will talk about what doctors who treat animals can teach us about how to have a good death.
• Flight enthusiast Andrew Shepherd will talk about how to get Americans excited again about the wonders of flight.
• Teacher Stephanie VanHouten will talk about better, more creative ways to educate kindergartners and help make them valuable future citizens.
TEDx is a global program of independently organized events licensed by TED. Visit www.tedxdayton.com or the TEDxDayton Twitter and Facebook accounts for the most up-to-date details on the 2018 event. Videos of talks from the 2013–2017 TEDxDayton events can be viewed on the website, as well.