Located on the second floor of the hospital, the Family Room provides meals, beverages, snacks, shower and laundry facilities only steps away from their children’s rooms and eliminates the need to cross the street to come to the house in nasty weather or late at night.
Volke says serving so many additional families has challenged the organization’s resources, increasing the need for in-kind donations of popular items.
Here’s what the Ronald McDonald House needs most:
- Individually packaged breakfast cereals
- Individually packaged snack cakes
- Peanut butter crackers
- Easy Mac Cups
- Single serving cups of ravioli/Spaghetti-o's
- Fruit and applesauce cups
- Individually packaged toothbrushes
- Lysol wipes
- Kitchen size trash bags
- Swiffer Wet Jet Cleaner
- Pull tabs from soups, beverages, canned fruits and vegetables and pet food. These are collected at the House and weighed by First Street Recycling. The value of the aluminum is donated back to the House.
All donations can be dropped off between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. at the Ronald McDonald House of Dayton, 555 Valley Street (Corner of Valley and Chapel), 45404.
More ways to help Ronald McDonald House
- Interested organizations and individuals can "Adopt a Room" to help support the cost of overnight stays for guest families. The average length of stay for a family is 7-10 days.
- In addition to cash and vehicle donations, you can also help by attending one of the Ronald McDonald House fundraisers. They include the annual Doors of Compassion, scheduled for April 1, 2017; the RMHC Golf Classic at NCR Country Club on August 28, 2017; and the Mix 107.7 Radiothon on September 28, 2017. Third-Party special events, coordinated by community groups, are welcome as well.
- In collaboration with 4 Paws for Ability in Xenia, the Ronald McDonald House is providing guest rooms for families with children in town for training with service dogs, saving them the added expense of hotels and dining.
- Volunteer opportunities and donor options are available on the House website: www.RMHCdayton.org