Wild mushrooms could be a health hazard for pets

File photo.  (Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images)

Combined ShapeCaption
File photo. (Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images)

Recent rain and muggy conditions have created something in backyards that could put pets in danger.

Wild mushrooms are popping up all over, and if your dog or cat eats them, they could get sick or even die.

"Some can cause GI/mild GI upset, but to the extreme, even liver failure," said Dr. Lacey Sharp with Veterinary Associates Animal Hospital outside Xenia.

Sharp said moldy livestock feed can also make your four-legged friend sick. The same is true if they come into contact with a blue-green algae bloom in a pond or lake.

"It can cause skin lesions and contact problems on the skin," said Sharp. "If it's ingested it can lead to death."

Susan Stone, owner of 9-year-old Charlie Bear, said the dog is like most Labrador retrievers, friendly and curious.

"Their nose is into everything," she said. "Next thing you know, they're trying to eat it...I just try to make sure he doesn’t grab it before I can catch him.”

If you have wild mushrooms in your yard, Sharp said get rid of them. And if your pet starts acting strange, don't wait to get help.

"If a dog doesn't eat for 24 hours, they're acting lethargic or vomiting and diarrhea that lasts 24 hours, call or seek vet care," Sharp said.

There are a lot of dangers outside and inside for pets. If you have any questions, you can call your vet or poison control for pets.

About the Author