TMZ Sports amended its initial report just after 4 p.m. to note its NBA sources are "adamant" no one in the league office "reached out" to local authorities. A Mobile police spokesperson also clarified in the update that league officials had "previously reached out" to the department regarding Cousins' surrender.
According to AL.com, however, a police spokeswoman confirmed only that NBA officials made contact with local authorities but did not discuss terms of Cousins' potential surrender.
"I can confirm that the NBA called our detectives and was told to contact our Legal Department to discuss further," Mobile police spokeswoman Charlette Solis told AL.com.
Cousins, 29, signed a one-year deal with the Lakers in July before tearing his left ACL the next month. The injury is expected to sideline the center for the upcoming 2019-20 NBA season.
According to USA Today, the four-time NBA All-Star missed most of last season as a member of the Golden State Warriors while recovering from a January 2018 Achilles tear.
Los Angeles Lakers General Manager Rob Pelinka addressed Cousins’ situation Friday with the following Media Day statement: “I think the most important thing to say is the Lakers as an organization take allegations of domestic violence extremely seriously. That said, when allegations are made for any NBA player, the league takes over and handles that investigation. We’re going to abide by the league’s lead on this as that’s being investigated, and because it’s a legal matter, we can’t really speak any further about that right now. He’s a member of our roster and a part of the team, and we’ll just have to wait for guidance from the league on next steps."