Caption

What’s next after closing of one of the area’s oldest family-owned restaurants?

One of the oldest family-owned Asian restaurants in the Miami Valley has shut its doors with grace and style in Fairborn, and plans are moving ahead for a successor restaurant at the site.

“We thank all of you for 29 wonderful years in Fairborn!” the owners of the Flying Tiger Chinese Restaurant said on the restaurant’s Facebook page. The most recent comment on the page from a regular customer reads, “So long old friend, hope to see you again someday!”

>> Original Max & Erma’s restaurant to shut down

The Flying Tiger shut its doors at 60 S. Broad St. on July 23, but Richard and Jennifer Liu, the son and daughter of the restaurant’s founders, told this news outlet in early July that there is a strong possibility they will look to open a new Flying Tiger restaurant after taking a break of at least six months.

>> EARLIER: Local Asian restaurant to shut down after nearly 30 years

Demolition could begin this week on the former Flying Tiger Chinese Restaurant in Fairborn. PHOTO FROM FLYING TIGER FACEBOOK PAGE (Staff Writer)

The Liu family is donating some of the restaurant’s equipment to the Fairborn Kitchen Incubator at 305 W. Main St., the former Raush’s Restaurant, according to Michael Gebhart, Fairborn’s assistant city manager.

>> RELATED: Fairborn restaurant shuts down after 54 years (October 2015)

Fairborn development officials “will be working with the Liu Family to find a new site in Fairborn as soon as they are ready,” Gebhart said.

But plans for a new restaurant at the South Broad Street site are moving quickly. Fairborn City Council approved a conditional-use measure earlier this month that will pave the way for a new Burger King to be built on the site. Jennifer Liu spoke in favor of the measure prior to the council vote, Gebhart said.

>> Wat da Pho opens Vietnamese restaurant in Beavercreek

Jennifer Liu said earlier this month that her family had wanted to scale down.

“This is a huge, 5,000-square-foot restaurant, and my mom is in her late 70s and needs to retire,” she said. “This was a mutual agreement between us and Burger King, which was interested in our lot.”

Gebhart said demolition of the existing restaurant could begin as early as this week.

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Dayton Air Show: Complete guide to entertainment, parking, tickets
  2. 2 Dayton Air Show: Where to park, how to avoid traffic delays
  3. 3 PHOTOS: Victorian Troy farmhouse comes with wine cellar, party barn

More from Dayton