Updated Oct. 17, 2018: Carillon Brewing Company’s special fall brew, squash ale, is now available.
With fall officially here, cold weather food is officially in season.
You know, that food that sticks to your ribs and warms you when you are feeling a deep autumn chill.
One place that comes to mind with great views and a menu that offers several of these types of options including soups is Carillon Brewing Company.
The nation's only fully operational production brewery in a museum has a number of seasonal offerings and specials including several new beers that are sure to offer additional warmth:
NOW AVAILABLE: Squash Ale: “Our Ohio,” the award-winning PBS show from ThinkTV, highlighted the Squash Ale collaboration between Carillon Brewing Co. and Little Miami Farms last year. The Brewery sources all squash and hops from Little Miami for this popular brew. The special brew is now available.
• Roggenbier: Their German rye ale, Roggenbier, is still on tap, pairing perfectly with the cooler autumn temperatures.
• Catawba Wine: Carillon Brewing Company is bottling Catawba Wine with a release date coming soon.
• Restaurant and bar specials: Rotating sandwich specials will continue on the Brewery menu, and the bar staff will have rotating autumn-inspired cocktails.
An English-style Winter Spice Ale is in the works for this winter.
WHAT TO EAT
Pair one of their beers with some bier cheese soup topped with bacon or some cream of potato and leek soup for vegetarians ($3.50 for a cup or $4.25 for a bowl) and a hearty sandwich or entree like a schnitzel ($13), Reuben ($10.25) or bratwurst and mettwurst (choice or two wursts for $12 or a wurst on a bun for $8.95).
They have plenty of events to plan around through the end of the year, so mark your calendar.
• Tavern Dinner Harvest Feast: Oct. 19, 20, 26, 27, Nov. 2, 3. SOLD OUT.
• Train Runs: Oct. 27
• Deeds Carillon concerts: Oct. 21
• Hallow's Eve Victorian Afternoon Tea: Oct. 28
• Ringing in the Holidays: Nov. 17
• Train Run: Nov. 24
• Carillon Tree of Light: Nov. 28
• A Carillon Christmas: Nov. 28–Dec. 30
• Victorian Afternoon Tea: Dec. 1, 2, 8, 9
• Artisan Day: Dec. 2
• Deeds Carillon Concert: Dec. 7
• Train Run: Dec. 8
WANT TO GO?
What: Carillon Brewing Company
Where: 1000 Carillon Blvd, Dayton
More info: (937) 910-0722 or www.carillonbrewingco.org
Restaurant hours: 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday and Saturday