An Ohio Chipotle that is believed to have caused more than 700 illnesses is now facing its second lawsuit as a result of the issues beginning July 26.
At least 703 inquiries related to a possible food-borne illness outbreak at the 9733 Sawmill Parkway Chipotle in Powell, Ohio, have been received by the Delaware County General Health District. After 513 interviews and several stool samples, the cause is still unknown, with tests so far coming back negative for Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli and Norovirus. Leftover food is still being tested, said Traci Whittaker, spokeswoman for the health district.
RELATED: This massive new greenhouse is harvesting its first organic crops, and you could see them in your store soon
At least two lawsuits have been filed against the restaurant, so far, including by Clayton Jones, who continues medical treatment after consuming food from the restaurant on July 27, according to a release from Ron Simon and Associates. Jones is seeking $25,000.
BIZ BEAT: We tried grocery delivery service: 5 things we found out
“This is the first of many lawsuits we will be filing on behalf of local residents who were sickened by contaminated Chipotle food,” said attorney Ron Simon. “We have handled hundreds of claims against Chipotle as this is Chipotle’s seventh food poisoning outbreak in the last 3 years. These lawsuits will force Chipotle to change its ways and make its food safer for everyone not just in Powell, Ohio, but across the United States.”
Whitaker said the Delaware County General Health District will meet this afternoon for another update.
FIVE FAST READS
• PHOTOS: Luxury Beavercreek home for sale set on 5.2 acres
• Bob Evans suspends partnership with Urban Meyer
• SNEAK PEEK: New Kettering grocery store features closeout merchandise
• ‘Grocery wars’: How local stores are competing for your dollars
About the Author