• Be aware of your environment and what is going on around you. Don’t talk on the cell phone while driving or walking to and from your car.
• Lock doors and windows before you leave your home.
• Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
• Park in well-lit areas and keep car doors locked, even at home!
• Keep valuable items in the trunk or out of sight (take them home when possible).
• When at the bank or ATM, pay attention to what is around you and check the ATM for tampering or evidence of a skimming device.
RELATED: Stores going after holiday shoppers with the latest tech
• Shop with friends and family when possible.
Protect your property by:
• Be sure your personal computer has up-to-date security software.
• Do not respond to requests to ‘verify’ your passwords.
• Use secure websites for your purchases.
• Anyone asking you to obtain ‘gift cards’ or ‘store cards’ unsolicited by phone or online is very likely a scam.
• Don’t leave delivered packages sitting visibly on your porch for extended periods of time. Have a friend or neighbor secure them for you if necessary.
DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE APPS FOR LATEST BREAKING NEWS