Lee’s Famous Recipe Chicken destroyed after fryer fire in Harrison Twp.

 JUST IN: Kettering pub to shut down for good after 24 years, owner says

The fire was reported at the restaurant located at 4140 N. Main St. in Harrison Township on Saturday around 10:45 a.m.

Firefighters found a fryer on fire upon arrival but heavy flame and black smoke spread to the attic quickly, making it unsafe. They were forced to evacuate the building and battle the fire from the exterior.

“We tried to do an initial attack and it just got way too ahead of us and it was unsafe for the crews to be in there,” said Harrison Twp. Fire Department Fire Chief Mark Lynch.

A cook told firefighters that the suppression system did not function. A suppression system is made to take care of fryer fires, said Lynch.

The owner told officials the suppression system was serviced two to three months ago. 

Three to four employees were in the building at the time of the fire but no one was hurt.

The sides of the building were collapsed to prevent injury.

Photo: Kole Smith

North Main Street was completely blocked off for the safety of drivers and firefighters while they battled the flames, said Lynch.

Neighbors still furious, worried about old Hewitt Soap Factory remains

One car drove through the emergency scene and was pulled over by police.

“Please don’t drive through an emergency scene whenever you see tape up and cops blocking the roadway,” Lynch said.

Dayton, Clayton and Englewood fire departments assisted Harrison Township Fire Department at the scene.

North Main Street Lee’s Famous Recipe Chicken Fire
Photo: Noah Fickert

X