Student bitten by snake inside North Carolina middle school

A student at a middle school in eastern North Carolina was bitten by a snake inside the school Friday and treated at a local hospital.

>> Read more trending news

It happened at Chowan Middle School in Chowan, according to WAVY-TV.

A girl found the snake in a school hallway and picked it up by the tail, an Edenton-Chowan Schools spokesperson confirmed to WAVY.

When the snake bit her on the finger, the girl dropped it, but then picked it up again, and it bit her a second time on the hand.

Officials believe the snake was a nonvenomous garter snake, but they had the school inspected and treated on Saturday, the news station reported.

About the Author