Texas man dies from flesh-eating disease after fishing trip, family says

A Texas man recently died from a so-called "flesh-eating" infection after he went fishing near Palacios, his family said.

>> Read more trending news

According to KEYE-TV and the San Antonio Express-News, Jerry Sebek, 78, of San Marcos, died June 25, less than two weeks after he went fishing with his family on Turtle Bay, said his daughter, Kim Sebek.

When the elder Sebek began to feel disoriented shortly after the outing, doctors at a Palacios hospital treated him for possible heat exhaustion, Kim Sebek said. His condition didn't improve, so doctors transferred Sebek to a different facility in nearby Victoria, his daughter told the news outlets.

There, doctors discovered that Sebek was suffering from vibriosis, often referred to as a "flesh-eating" disease, Kim Sebek said. People can "become infected by consuming raw or undercooked seafood or exposing a wound to seawater," according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Although surgeons tried save Sebek's life by amputating his arm and leg, the disease killed him, his daughter told the Express-News.

"I'm still a little shocked and in disbelief," she told the newspaper.

Read more here or here.

About the Author