Woods' attorneys announced Monday that the golf star has been removed from the lawsuit, which was filed last month in Palm Beach County, Florida, by the family of Nicholas Immesberger, ESPN reported. However, the lawsuit is ongoing against the restaurant, The Woods Jupiter, and Woods' girlfriend, Erica Herman, who is the restaurant's general manager.
In the original lawsuit, Immesberger's estate claimed the 24-year-old bartender had stayed past his shift on Dec. 10, 2018, and was served to the point of "severe intoxication" before getting into his car, TMZ reported. Immesberger later crashed and died.
The lawsuit claimed Woods and Herman knew Immesberger personally, knew he had an alcohol problem and shouldn’t have allowed him to be served alcohol.
Woods’ attorney, Barry Postman, said Immesberger’s family had a change of heart and decided to voluntarily dismiss Woods from the lawsuit.
"The decision was clearly appropriate and reflected the fact that Mr. Woods should not have been included in the lawsuit in the first place because he had nothing to do with Mr. Immesberger's death,'' Postman said in a statement. "While the situation was tragic, the facts will ultimately show that the cause of Mr. Immesberger's car accident were the many decisions made by Mr. Immesberger on the night of his passing.''
When the lawsuit was filed, Woods said, "We're all very sad that Nick passed away. It was a terrible night, a terrible ending, and just -- we feel bad for him and his entire family. It's very sad."