Vibrio bacteria from oysters kills North Carolina man

Credit: Pixabay

Credit: Pixabay

A North Carolina man has died after he contracted the sometimes-deadly bacteria vibrio while eating oysters in Wilmington.

>> Read more trending news

David Argay died Thursday at WakeMed Health & Hospitals in Raleigh, WTVD-TV reported.

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services has not released any further information on Argay’s case. It’s unclear where and when he ate the oysters in Wilmington and whether they were raw.

Vibrio causes an estimated 80,000 illnesses every year and 100 deaths in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC said one of the main ways of contracting the bacteria is by eating raw or undercooked seafood and by exposing wounds to seawater. Most infections occur when water temperatures are warmest in May through October.

About the Author