If you love the Five Rivers MetroParks, here’s the perfect opportunity to give back.
The Dayton-based parks organization is participating in this year’s national Make a Difference Day from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Oct. 28. If you want to be involved, you need to register online by Tuesday, Oct. 24.
Community members of all ages will work at various sites throughout the Dayton area, including:
- Planting and invasive species removal at Adventure Central
- Gardening at Aullwood and Eastwood MetroPark
- Tree planning at Sugarcreek MetroPark
- Restoration and invasive plant removal at Cox Arboretum, Germantown and Wegerzyn Gardens MetroPark
- Trash removal, seasonal gardening and preparing ice skates at RiverScape MetroPark
- Mending fences and invasive species removal at Taylorsville MetroPark
- Trash and invasive pecies removal at Englewood MetroPark
- Gardening, invasive species removal and restoration at Hills & Dales and Island MetroPark
- Winterize garden beds, planting and farm trail maintenance at Possum Creek MetroPark
“Make a Difference Day is the perfect occasion to have an experience in the park you can feel extra good about,” said Yvonne Dunphe, MetroParks volunteer coordinator. “The weather is cooler, fall color is on full display and you get to spend the day meeting new people while helping to spruce up your favorite MetroPark.”
For those looking to volunteer as a family, Dunphe suggests Possum Creek MetroPark and Adventure Central for younger children, while older children can enjoy vollunteering at Germantown MetroPark.
Now in its 25th year, Make a Difference Day is one of the largest annual single days of service nationwide. With the common goal to improve the lives of others, millions of volunteers will gather across the country and commit their time to local projects. Five Rivers MetroParks has participated in Make a Difference Day in different capacities for the past few years, and hopes to register 550 volunteers in 2017.
More information is available and registartion can be completed online. Participants should wear clothes suited for the weather and the activity in which they are participating. Boots or thick-soled shoes are recommended. Supplies will be provided for activities, but individuals may wish to bring their own glvoes or water to drink. Five Rivers MetroParks’ Make a Difference Day is psonsored by Universal 1 Credit Union.