National Trails Day is on June 2 and Five Rivers MetroParks and Dayton Hikers are teaming up to challenge you with an outdoor adventure along the Twin Valley Trail.
>>MORE: 12 top hiking trails in Dayton and nearby
Set in the rolling hills of the Twin Valley, the Twin Valley Trail (TVT) provides backpacking experiences reminiscent of other wilderness trails. Featuring beautiful hills, babbling brooks, abundant wildlife, history and small town charm, the TVT combines the existing trail network in Twin Creek and Germantown MetroParks with a connection to create a longer, more integrated trail system that totals more than 43 miles.
>>WHAT TO LOVE: Dayton’s iconic tree tower reopens just in time for summer
“Robust networks of trails are important to the greater Dayton community,” said MetroParks outdoor recreation coordinator, Angie Sheldon. “Trails such as the TVT provide opportunities for people to connect to nature and help people live healthy, active lifestyles.”
The TVT Challenge is a non-competitive hiking endurance event that encourages people to get out and experience the natural surface trails and the beauty that surrounds them. Thinking about taking the challenge? Here are 5 reasons why it’s a great idea:
1. Experience the outdoors: Covering an amazing 2,600 acres, the TVT provides backpackers with ample opportunity to experience the flora and fauna of early summer in the Miami Valley.
>>RELATED: 6 of the best Dayton trails to hike in the spring
2. You don't have to be a pro: From newbies with families to backpacking pros, the TVT Challenge has something for everyone. The Challenge features routes that are marked for 1 to 27 miles, so you can challenge yourself, friends or family to a hike suitable for your skill level.
3. Celebrate with the entire family: Following the Challenge, all are welcome to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the TVT during The Twin Valley Trail 10-Year Celebration at the Morning Glory Shelter in Germantown MetroPark. Perfect for families, friends and outdoor enthusiasts, the anniversary celebration will include a cookout, live music, and more. The evening will culminate with campfire sing-a-long, during which guests can participate with their own instruments. Guests are not required to participate in the TVT Challenge to attend the Twin Valley Trail 10-Year Celebration.
>>RELATED: 5 places to go camping around Dayton
4. Learn something new: Get to know fellow hiking and backpacking enthusiasts, share tips, experiences on the trails and more during the TVT 10-Year Celebration. Additionally, MetroParks and Dayton Hikers will provide backcountry information, gear demos and backcountry campsite tours.
5. Free camping: For those who want to make an entire day out of their TVT adventure, free camping is available on Friday and Saturday night at the event. Camping is limited and pre-registration is required. Visit tvt.challenge.com to register.
WANT TO GO?
When: TVT Challenge - Saturday, June 2, from 5:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
10-year TVT Anniversary Celebration – Saturday, June 2, from 3 to 9 p.m.
Where: Visit the newly updated Twin Valley Welcome Center to registration for the Challenge between 5:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
More Details: This event is free and for all ages. Free camping is limited and registration is required.
About the Author