Summer starts today at RiverScape MetroPark, which hosts its first free summer concert and a community bike safety event. Spend First Friday enjoying live bluegrass at Pickin’ in the Park and then gear up to get out and bike this May during National Bike Month with your Five Rivers MetroParks.
>> THINGS TO DO: Cute and cuddly: Cincinnati Zoo celebrates its babies all month
1) Music with a view: The Flatland Harmony Experiment and Kind Country will take the stage under the RiverScape Pavilion this evening from 6 to 10 p.m. Bring a folding chair, dress for the weather and enjoy beautiful views of the Great Miami River and an evening full of string-picking bluegrass tunes. Food trucks will be on site and craft beer will be available. Proceeds from beer sales benefit A Special Wish Foundation.
2) Get your bike checked by the pros: Also happening this evening, Five Rivers MetroParks hosts a family Bike Safety event from 6 to 8 p.m. at RiverScape MetroPark. Bring your bicycle and MetroParks’ Rangers will provide safety checks in celebration of National Bike Month.
3) First responder fun: Kids and adults can visit with first responders from Dayton Police and Dayton Fire, who will be on site giving away sweet treats and showing off their cool gear. Snap a picture of your kids with Dayton’s finest and explore the cool bells and whistles on a Dayton Fire Department fire truck.
4) Freebies for the kids: Visit the Dayton Police Department truck to enjoy a free snow cone and be sure to check in with MetroParks’ Rangers, who are providing free bike helmets. Both are available while supplies last.
5) Learn how to Get Out & Bike in the Miami Valley: RiverScape MetroParks is at the center of 340 miles of paved recreation trails — the nation’s largest paved trail network. Learn how to make the most of National Bike Month by visiting MetroParks’ outdoor recreation team and Bike Miami Valley during Pickin’ in the Park. They will provide concertgoers with information about upcoming events and programs, trails, and cycling resources in the community.
Learn more about all the cycling events this May — including MetroParks’ Bike to Work Day Pancake Breakfast on May 17 at RiverScape MetroPark — by visiting here.