Diane Schoeffler-Warren and her family have done just that. It started four years ago when her stepson Alex started running in the event with his Miamisburg High School lacrosse team. Diane and her husband, Larry, participated the past few years and will be joined by their son Matthew this year as well.
>> The best places in the Miami Valley to order Thanksgiving turkeys
“Alex runs, we walk, you can definitely go at your own pace,” Schoeffler-Warren said. “We have a good time, it’s a lot of fun and I think we have established a family tradition.”
The Turkey Trot is just one of many adrenaline-pumping, calorie-burning Thanksgiving events happening in the area. So if you want to start off the holiday season with a workout, there are plenty of options to choose from.
“And then you can eat that extra piece of pie,” Schoeffler-Warren said with a smile.
>> Bob Evans to donate up to 100 ‘Farmhouse Feast’ meals to foodbanks
Start with a morning run and you have the rest of the day to celebrate the season with family and friends.
• ORRRC Turkey Trot: Nov. 28, 8:30 a.m., Riverfront Park, Miamisburg. The Ohio River Road Runners Club event is in its 41st year with one and five-mile races as well as a costume contest. Information at www.miamisburgtrot.com.
• Tipp Turkey Trot: Nov. 28, 8 a.m., Kyle Park, 500 S. First St. In its 12th year, the Tipp City event has 5K and 10K options and serves as a fundraiser for Ginghamsburg Church's New Path Ministry. Information at runsignup.com.
• Turkey Day 5K: Nov. 28, 8:30-11:30 a.m., Shoup Park, 1341 Meadow Bridge Drive. Thanksgiving 5K event that benefits the Beavercreek Youth Wrestling program. Info at turkeyday5k.itsyourrace.com.
A turkey can be more than the main course if you get on a roll at one of the area’s Thanksgiving bowling events.
• Night Before Thanksgiving No Tap: Nov. 27, 10 p.m.-1 a.m., Bowl 10 Fairborn, 1425 N. Broad St. One in five bowlers cash in this 9-pin no-tap tournament. Information at www.facebook.com/events/531730217389829/.
• 15th Annual Russ Maiden Turkey Tap: Nov. 28, 8 a.m.-noon, Beaver-Vu Bowl, 1238 N. Fairfield Road. The Turkey Tap is the first in a series of 9=X "No-Tap" Tournaments at the Beavercreek bowling center. Information at www.daytonbowling.com.
• Thanksgiving Night Shootout: Nov. 28, 6-10 p.m., Poelking Lanes, 1403 Wilmington Ave. Four games of qualifying, cut to top four for match play in this 9-pin no-tap tournament. Information at poelkingbowling.com/poelking/.
• Thanksgiving Singles Sweeper: Nov. 28, 7 p.m., Marian Lanes, 6170 Brandt Pike. Three-game qualifier followed by bracketed match play with one-in-five bowlers cashing. Information, call 233-2222.
Enjoying a bit of fresh air with the family might be fun way to start the day.
• Make Room for Turkey Hike: Nov. 28, 9-10:45 a.m., Sugarcreek MetroPark, 4178 Conference Road. Join the Dayton Hikers on a moderate-brisk four- to five-mile hike. Information at www.meetup.com/DaytonHikers/.
• Clark Park Hikers: Nov. 28, 9 a.m., George Rogers Clark Park, 930 South Tecumseh Road. Join Park District volunteers and enjoy a walk through the woods. Experience the beauty and camaraderie found in the outdoors. Meet at the parking lot below the dam. Information at www.clarkcountyparks.org.