Fall in love with downtown at the First Friday of fall on Friday, Oct. 4, including a “spooktacular” start to the Halloween season.
>> DAYTON BUCKET LIST: 100 things to do in Dayton in 2019
Here are some must-try events and a complete schedule:
The Yellow Cab Tavern is kicking off the start of Halloween season with their event: Spooky Spectacular Dayton. There will be over 35 artisan vendors peddling spooky delights including raffle prizes from vendor donations and local businesses.
Admission is free and their event is open to all ages. However, please be advised that some content might not be suitable for younger patrons. Doors open at 5 p.m.
To start the first full month of fall off right, Now and Zen DIY Studio is hosting a Sip and Create: As seen on Pinterest event. Pop in the shop between 5-8 p.m. and create a fall Pumpkin Succulent Centerpiece and/or a terrarium at the terrarium bar.
There will be a live Halloween Costume photoshoot and a Best-Dressed Witch contest with local Dayton costume designers at Clash in the Oregon District. Art will be on display as well by many local artists that perfectly line up with the Halloween season.
PRO TIP: USE THE FLYER SHUTTLE
Getting to all the listed locations is easy with the help of the free Flyer shuttle buses operating until 11 p.m., connecting dozens of locations between RiverScape MetroPark and the University of Dayton.
Here are a couple highlights this First Friday:
● The Contemporary Dayton, 118 N. Jefferson St.: The Contemporary Dayton is hosting a free opening reception for the exhibit titled And Then Unfolds from 6-8 PM. This exhibit is an exhibition of lyrical, calligraphic abstractions on paper by emerging artists. Call (937) 224-3822.
● Edward A. Dixon Gallery, 12 S. Ludlow St.: Come and celebrate the Edward A Dixon Gallery’s Two Year Anniversary! Enjoy some of the International Fine Art at the gallery from artists including Julio Pino Varens, Howard Behrens, Ben Ibebe, Marilynn Page, K.S. Maneja, Janet Garlikov, Mikee Huber, George N. Parker III, Marcellus Art, Alice Gatewood-Waddell, Philip Payne, Hessam Abrishami, Taliaferro Sebastian, Jane Wooster-Scott, Tess Muth and Erica Arndts. Appetizers & Beverages provided. Free parking at meters after 6pm. Call (937) 331-8454
● Dutoit Gallery, 1001 E. Second St.: Dutoit Gallery will be exhibiting local artist and educator Seth Wade. Stop by and enjoy his ink drawings in his solo show “From the Bellies of Birds” from 6-9 PM. Call (201) 752-4353.
● The Front Street Building Co., 1001 E. Second St.: Take a stroll through Front Street on First Friday. Local artists invite you to explore their 60+ working studios and galleries on October 4. You will find painters, printmakers, jewelry artists, sculptors, glass artists, photographers, mixed media artists, potters, woodworkers, and more! Their community of artists join us from across the globe and create right in your backyard! Come experience the energy on First Friday at Front Street from 5-9 p.m..
● The Barrel House, 417 E Third St.: Join The Barrel House for their October Funky Friday! At 5 PM, The Beerded Pig will be serving their delicious foods! Come for the beer and food and stay for the funk that DJ Cooley will be spinning from 6-10 PM. Call (937) 222-4795.
● Blind Bob’s Bar, 430 E. Fifth St.: This First Friday, Blind Bob’s will be hosting Hamell on Trial with special guests Paige Beller and Sok at 9:30 PM. 21 & up, $5 cover at the door. Happy Hour is from 4-8 PM With $1 off Wells. Call (937) 938-6405.
● Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave: It is another Irish First Friday at Dublin Pub! Happy Hour is from 3-6 p.m. Dulahan, a band with exciting musical collision of Celtic and American roots, will be performing at 8:30. Call (937) 224-7822.
● Omega Music, 318 E. Fifth St.: On October 4, Omega Music is celebrating First Friday with live music! Stop by at 6 for performances from local acts JAMR, Bird Brain Breakfast, and Freight. This show is free & all ages. Call (937) 275-9949.
● Oregon Express, 336 E. Fifth St.: The Linda Prevo band will be performing at the Oregon Express this First Friday. Happy Hour 4-7 p.m. includes $10 pitchers of Stella, Fat Tire, and Lagunitas IPA. Live music starts around 9 p.m. Call (937) 223-9205.
● Schuster Performing Arts Center, 1 W. Second St.: The Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra will be performing Beethoven’s 5th Symphony and Tchaikovsky this First Friday at 8 p.m. Nothing says “classical music” like the opening of Beethoven’s most famous work. With drama, darkness, and triumph, the Fifth promises a journey of power and transcendence. Add Tchaikovsky’s lush, romantic piano harmonies, and this concert is sure to be a feast for the senses. Accomplished Canadian pianist Stewart Goodyear joins the DPO for this performance. Tickets on sale now and can be found at www.daytonperformingarts.org. Call (937) 228-7591.
● Tumbleweed Connection, 454 E. Fifth St.: Head on down to Tumbleweed Connection to experience the melodies of Heather Roush. This country singer will take the stage at 9:30. Call (937) 228-5500.
>> Dayton Music Insider: The best in local music this week
● AUSRA Art Studio, 1001 E. 2nd St.: Calling all French speakers! Head on down to AUSRA Art Studio from 6-8 p.m. for a French conversation meetup. The primary objective is to improve your speaking French and to have a good time. Call (937) 520-0039
● The Black Box Improv Theatre, 518 E. Third St.: Presenting MOMologues. Enjoy the very relatable stories and BYOW (bring your bottle of wine) for a night out with your favorite fellow moms at 9 PM. Tickets are $15. Stay after for a free Improv Jam. Get on stage and take a stab at improv at 11 p.m. Call (937) 369-0747.
● Dayton Chess Club, 18 W. Fifth St.: Every Friday evening (except when there are weekend tournaments), there is a USCF-rated tournament ($10 for DCC members /$20 for non-DCC members), plus a few players who opt to play casual chess. For First Friday, this will be Quick rated (G/24, 5 second increment). Call (937) 270-4016.
● The Dayton Club, 40 N. Main St.: The Dayton Club’s 13th Annual Charity Classic is back and you are invited! Enjoy small plates expertly paired with wine, craft beer, and local spirits! Browse their carefully curated silent auction while you mix and mingle with fellow club members and guests. Proceeds benefit Augie's Quest, the Employee Partner Care Fund, and their local philanthropic partner — Crayons to Classrooms. This event is open to the general public. Call (937) 558-5181
● Proto Build Bar, 534 E. First St.: Starting at 6 p.m., you can enjoy tabletop gaming while enjoying a drink or coffee! There will be 25% off all board game-related 3D prints. Call (937) 222-6253.
● Urban Krag Climbing Center, 125 Clay St.: Swing by this restored church and discover a 10,000 square foot indoor rock-climbing center inside! Enjoy the First Timers Friday deal and get a day pass, belay certification, shoe, and harness rental, all for $30. Take First Friday to new heights from 3 to 11 PM. Call (937) 224-5724.
● Wiley’s Comedy Club, 101 Pine St.: This weekend, head on over to Wiley’s to enjoy the hilarious comedian Mike Merk! 18+. Two-item minimum purchase. The show starts at 8 PM. Tickets are on sale now. Call (937) 224-5653.
● Yellow Cab Tavern, 700 E. 4th St.: The Yellow Cab Tavern is kicking off the start of Halloween season with their event: Spooky Spectacular Dayton! There will be over 35 artisan vendors peddling spooky delights including the Zombie Dogz food truck and raffle prizes from vendor donations and local businesses. Some of the proceeds from this event will go to Woodland Cemetery and Arboretum! Admission is free and their event is open to all-ages. However, please be advised that some content might not be suitable for younger patrons. Doors open at 5 p.m.
🍸FOOD & DRINK
● Basil’s On Market, 312 N. Patterson Blvd.: Basil’s will be hosting Happy Hour from 3-6 p.m. Pop in to enjoy a $5 bar menu that includes bruschetta, fries, wings, artichoke dip, and tacos. They will also have $5 house wine and $5 select craft beer. Call (937) 818-4390.
● Fifth Street Brewpub, 1600 E. Fifth St.: Stop in to wind down after work or get your night started. Enjoy $1 off beers, wine, and appetizers. Call (937) 443-0919.
● Lily’s Bistro, 329 E. Fifth St.: Join Lily’s for Desserts & Cold Brew at 5 p.m. this First Friday as they introduce new pastry chef Claudia Krug and their new Boston Stoker Coffee Company cold brew coffee. Purchase a dessert to receive complimentary samples of two different Boston Stoker cold brew options. Then, use one of their postcards to vote on your favorite sample. For the desserts, try the Chocolate Pots de Crème and Crème Brûlée. There will be vegan and gluten-free dessert options as well. Call 937-723-7637.
● Reza’s Downtown, 438 Wayne Ave.: Come and win coffee prizes during Bingo Night at Reza’s from 7-9 p.m. this First Friday. It is also Teacher’s Happy Hour at Reza’s. Free shots of espresso for teachers with work ID from 4-10 p.m. Call (937) 813-1748.
● Salar Restaurant & Lounge, 400 E. Fifth St.: Salar offers happy hour from 5 to 7 p.m. at the main bar, including options for a Build-Your-Own Pisco Bar. Bar patrons can enjoy $5 house wines, $1 off draft beer and select $5 bar bites. Call (937) 203-3999.
● Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St.: Half-price happy hour including appetizers and drinks specials from 4-7 p.m. Call (937) 461-1101.
>> GUIDE: Fine dining in the Oregon District
● Now and Zen DIY Studio, 37 S. St. Clair St.: This First Friday, Now and Zen is hosting a Sip and Create: As seen on Pinterest event! Stop by between 5-8 PM and create a fun Pumpkin Succulent Centerpiece! Feel free to create a terrarium at their terrarium bar as well! Call (937) 287-1733.
● Clash Dayton, 521 E. Fifth St. : There will be a live Halloween Costume photoshoot and a Best Dressed Witch contest with local Dayton costume designers at Clash this First Friday! Art will be on display as well by many local artists that perfectly line up with this spooky Halloween season. Call 937-259-8986.
WANT TO GO?
What: First Friday October
Where: Downtown Dayton
When: Friday, Oct. 4, 2019
Cost: Varies by location