Summer is still weeks away, but It’s the official start of the DP&L Summer in the City season this weekend. Businesses will be bustling across town on Friday, May 3, for the annual First Friday showcase downtown.
RiverScape MetroPark will host the first Pickin’ in the Park free concert of the season, featuring craft drafts, food trucks, and live entertainment under the shaded pavilion. Find more music at art galleries, in retail shops, in restaurants and pubs, and out on the streets.
>> DAYTON BUCKET LIST: 100 things to do in Dayton in 2019
The fun continues on Saturday, May 4, for all the District Derby Day action in the Oregon District. Enjoy Kentucky Derby-inspired activities, including fashion shows, derby watch parties, and the Running of the Wieners Dachshund race.
Mark your calendars for next Saturday, May 11, for the fifth annual Downtown Housing Tour, the first signature event for the DP&L Summer in the City series. Find information about these and other downtown events at www.DowntownDayton.org.
• Clash Dayton, 521 E. Fifth St.: This First Friday, join Clash as they host artists Jason Goad and Liz Dearth of Artifact Pottery from 5-10 p.m. Call (937) 259-8986.
• The Collaboratory, 100 W. 2nd St.: Experience the Collaboratory’s exhibit, Bloom, where unexpected outcomes of 20 artists will curate in two floors of experimental space. The show will feature experimental and abstract works of artists from the Dayton, Columbus, and Cincinnati areas. Refreshments and hors d’oeuvres will be provided. The event will be happening from 5-10 p.m. Call (937) 732-5123.
• Dayton Society of Artists, 48 High St.: The DSA will be hosting their Spring Show opening. Light refreshments will be served. 6 to 9 p.m. Call (937) 228-4532.
• Dutoit Gallery, 1001 E. Second St.: Dutoit Gallery will be presenting the new interstellar works by Nicholaus Arnold. This Dayton native will be showing his pieces from 6-9 p.m. Call (201) 752-4353.
• The Contemporary Dayton, 118 N. Jefferson St.: The Contemporary Dayton will host an Opening Reception for their newest exhibit, “There, There: John Dickinson & Shona MacDonald” from 6-8 p.m. Call (937) 224-3822.
• The Front Street Building Co., 1001 E. Second St.: Don’t miss the First Friday of April to enjoy the work of more than 100 artists and artisans. The complex is made of four buildings where one will encounter a combination of painters, printmakers, jewelry artists, sculptors, glass artists, mixed media artists, potters, and more. Call (937) 461-5149.
• Skeleton Dust Records, 133 E. 3rd St.: Skeleton Dust Will be hosting an art opening for local artist Courtney Latta. Music will be provided by Chad Latta. 7-9 p.m. Call (937) 221-8528.
Blind Bob’s, 430 E. Fifth St.: Celebrate the release of The Heartland Railway’s new EP at Blind Bob’s. Special guests Amber Hargett and Maria Carrelli will be joining them. Admission is $5 and doors open at 9 p.m. Call (937) 938-6405.
Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave.: It’s another Irish First Friday at Dublin Pub. Miami Valley Pipes & Drums will be performing at 7 p.m. Mossy Moran performs at 8 p.m. Call (937) 224-7822.
Hannah’s, 121 N. Ludlow St.: The Musician’s Co-op will feature Alyssa Hanson as host. Stop by for some great sound and great bites from Hannah’s. The fun kicks off at 9 p.m. 18+. Call (937) 640-1335.
Oregon Express Bar and Restaurant, 336 E. Fifth St.: The Linda Prevo Band will be featured at the Oregon Express. Call (937) 223-9205.
Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St.: The Trolley Stop presents Dirty Fuss this First Friday. Come and listen to this Nashville-based band and their unique take on rock n’ roll. Music starts at 9:30 p.m. Call (937) 461-1101.
>> Dayton Music Insider: The best in local music this week
• The Barrel House, 417 E. Third St.: May Funky Friday will pair beer with funk tunes spun by DJ Cooley from 6- 10 p.m. Krimmer’s Italianette food truck will be open for service from 5-10 p.m. Call (937) 222-4795.
• The Black Box Improv Theatre, 518 E. Third St.: Presenting MOMologues. Enjoy the very relatable stories and bring your bottle of wine for a night out with your favorite fellow moms at 8 p.m. Tickets are $15. Stay after for a free Improv Jam. Get on stage and take a stab at improv at 10 p.m. Call (937) 369-0747.
• Dayton Chess Club, 18 W. Fifth St.: Every Friday evening (except when there are weekend tournaments), there’s a USCF-rated tournament ($10 for DCC members /$20 for non-DCC members), plus a few players who opt to play casual chess. For First Friday, this will be quick rated (G/24, 5 sec. increment). Call (937) 270-4016.
• Dayton Theatre Guild, 430 Wayne Ave.: Enjoy the performance of Nice Girl at the Dayton Theatre Guild. Tickets are on sale now at www.daytontheatreguild.org or at the box office the day of the show. For more info, call (937) 278-5993.
• RiverScape MetroPark, 237 E. Monument Ave.: Enjoy a night of progressive bluegrass as RiverScape kicks off its free summer music series with Pickin’ in the Park. Enjoy performances by Flatland Harmony Experiment and Kind Country from 6 – 10 p.m. Food trucks and craft beer will be for sale. Call (937) 275-7275.
• RiverScape MetroPark, 237 E. Monument Ave.: Five Rivers MetroParks will be celebrating National Bike Month where rangers will be offering bike safety checks and giving out helmets. The Link Dayton Bike Share team will be on hand, as well, sharing information about how to use the green bikes to explore downtown. The Dayton Police Department will also be handing out free snow cones and hosting other activities. Call (937) 275-7275.
• Urban Krag Climbing Center, 125 Clay St.: Swing by this restored church and visit the 10,000-square-foot indoor rock-climbing center. Enjoy the First Timers Friday deal and get a day pass, belay certification, shoe and harness rental, for $30. Take First Friday to new heights from 3-11 p.m. Call (937) 224-5724.
• The Victoria Theatre, 138 N. Main St.: Experience the seven-time Tony award-winning musical “Annie” at the Victoria Theatre. The performance begins at 8 p.m. Tickets are available at www.dare2defy.org. Call (937) 228-3630.
• Wiley’s Comedy Club, 101 Pine St.: Come grab a seat for a night of laughs as Charlie Hester takes the stage at Wiley’s! 18+. Two-item minimum purchase. Show starts at 8 PM. Tickets are on sale now. Call (937) 224-5653.
• Yellow Cab Tavern, 700 E. Fourth St.: Live and without a stereo, Yellow Cab will be hosting its Pure Acoustic V.3 event featuring John Dubuc & the Guilty Pleasures, Whiskey for Kids, Nasty Bingo and Vivian. 8-11:30 p.m. Call (937) 424-3870.
🍸FOOD & DRINK
• Lucky’s Taproom & Eatery, 520 E. Fifth St.: Happy Hour will be from 3-6 p.m., featuring $1 off all drafts. Stay awhile and try their late-night menu offered from 11 p.m.- 1 a.m. Call (937) 222-6800.
• Oregon Express Bar and Restaurant, 336 E. Fifth St.: Happy Hour 4-7 p.m. includes $10 pitchers of Stella, Fat Tire and Lagunitas IPA. Call (937) 223-9205.
• Salar Restaurant & Lounge, 400 E. Fifth St.: Salar offers happy hour from 5-7 p.m. at the main bar, including options for a Build-Your-Own Pisco Bar. $5 house white or red wine, $1 off all draft beer, and $5 bar bites. Call (937) 203-3999.
• Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St.: Half-price happy hour including appetizers and drinks specials from 4-7 p.m. Call (937) 461-1101.
• A+ Cleaners, 105 E Second St.: A+ Cleaners will be doing a 10% discount promotion from 5-8 p.m. Come and pick one of their crafted flowers to win an additional prize.
• Dayton Art Institute, 456 Belmonte Park N.: Come shop local at the Dayton Art Institute during the Museum Store’s annual One Sweet Event shopping extravaganza. Call (937) 223-4278.
WANT TO GO?
What: First Friday May
Where: Downtown Dayton
When: Friday, May 1, 2019
Cost: Varies by location