It’s a new year with a fresh set of First Fridays waiting to be explored. The Downtown Dayton Partnership, along with downtown businesses, visual and performing arts, and entertainment destinations are gearing up to delight guests with unique experiences served up with local flair.
>> DAYTON BUCKET LIST: 100 things to do in Dayton in 2019
The January 4 First Friday will ring in 2019 with food and drink specials, art gallery openings, live music, and more to love.
If you haven’t had a chance to ride the free Flyer, downtown’s circulator bus system will be in operation. The Flyer operates from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Fridays.
Recommended for you
Recommended for you
Recommended for you
• Dutoit Gallery, 1001 E. Second St.: Guest artist Elena Dahl is currently an assistant professor of art at Wittenberg University. Her work has been shown in national and international exhibitions, including most recently “Representing Feminism(s)” at Phillip Exeter Academy’s Lamont Gallery and “Context 2018” at Filter Space in Chicago. Dutoit Gallery will host a public reception for her exhibit, “The light you shed,” from 6-9 p.m. Call (201) 752-6362.
• The Front Street Building Co., 1001 E. Second St.: Don’t miss the First Friday of January to enjoy the work of more than 100 artists and artisans. The complex is made of four buildings where one will encounter a combination of painters, printmakers, jewelry artists, sculptors, glass artists, mixed media artists, potters, and more. Call 461-5149.
• K12 Gallery & TEJAS, 341 S. Jefferson St.: January’s First Friday celebrates the opening reception of “A View in Your Space, A Visual Retrospect,” which looks back over time at all the things loved and cherished. These images are part of a collection of thoughts and emotions intended to take the viewer on a journey that may remind them of a familiar time or moment. Dayton native Horace Dozier Sr., a graduate of Roosevelt High School, studied fine arts at the Dayton Art Institute and the Washington School of Art. From painting and drawing, Dozier encompasses digital photography as an art expression for recreating and presenting true life images into artistically detailed digitized formats through the lens of his camera. The opening reception is from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Call 461-5149.
• Skeleton Dust Records, 133 E 3rd St.: Skeleton Dust presents an art opening for local Dayton artist Kate Huser Santucci and live music by Smith Brothers. Complimentary refreshments served. Call 221-8528.
• Wells & Co. Custom Tattoo, 110 E. Third St.: To celebrate the shared birthday of the shop owners’ two favorite kings of rock ‘n’ roll, Wells & Co. Custom Tattoos is proud to present: "Blue Suede and Black Stars: A Celebration of Kings" featuring Elvis Presley and David Bowie-themed artwork from a host of local and national artists. Call 286-3127.
>>EAST DAYTON ARTS DISTRICT: Here’s why these little birds popped up along downtown Dayton bridge
• Blind Bob’s, 430 E. Fifth St.: Live performance from Spectrvms, Victor Spoils, Rev Lewis, and The Gifted take the stage on First Friday. Call 938-6405.
• Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave: Welcome the band McIans to the stage. Forged in the fires of the Guinness brewery, The McIans wandered the world in a haze until regaining consciousness in Columbus. Music starts at 8 p.m. Call 224-7822.
• Hannah’s, 121 N. Ludlow St.: The Musician's Co-Op will perform live on First Friday, and it is free! Call 640-1335.
• Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St.: Eldorado Brown will have a live performance on First Friday starting at 9:30 p.m. Call 461-1101.
• Yellow Cab Tavern, 700 E 4th St.: Head to the Yellow Cab for an evening remembering and celebrating Canal Street Tavern and Dayton music legend Mick Montgomery! Yellow Cab wouldn't exist without the trail blazed by Mick and the former Canal Street Tavern. His vision to bring great music to Dayton still inspires. Celebrate Mick's spirit the best way - with a Hootenanny. Call 424-3870.
>> Dayton Music Insider: A funky First Friday in Dayton
• The Black Box Improv Theater, 518 E. Third St.: Catch the longest running show, Womit 2.0, Friday at 8 p.m. The cast will get inspiration with a volunteer audience interview, a one-word suggestion, or asking the audience about a specific topic. Either way, it'll be a good time! Stick around after the intermission for the second act. BYOB. Call 369-0747.
• Dayton Chess Club, 18 W. Fifth St.: Every Friday evening (except when there are weekend tournaments), there’s a USCF-rated tournament ($10 for DCC members /$20 for non-DCC members), plus a few players who opt to play casual chess. For First Friday, this will be Quick rated (G/24, 5 sec. increment). Call 270-4016.
• RiverScape MetroPark, 237 E. Monument Ave.: MetroParks Ice Rink is located under the pavilion at Monument and Patterson, and features sweeping views of both the Great Miami River and the downtown Dayton skyline. The daily admission fee is $5, and ice skate rentals are $2. Skaters ages 3 and younger are admitted free with a paying adult. Call (937) 278-2607.
• Wiley’s Comedy Joint, 101 Pine St.: Enjoy a live performance from Mark Chalifoux on First Friday starting at 8 p.m. Chalifoux has been featured on Fox and IFC television programs, as well as “The Bob and Tom” radio show. Call 224-5653.
🍸FOOD & DRINK
• Basil’s on Market, 312 N. Patterson Blvd.: Basil’s is bringing new happy hour specials. Fridays, hit Basil’s from 3 p.m. until 6 p.m. for a $5 bar menu and $5 house wine and craft beer! Patrons must be seated in the bar area for the specials. Call 818-4390.
• Blind Bob’s, 430 E. Fifth St.: Featuring happy hour from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., $1 off well drinks. Check the boards for the special menu item of the day. Call 938-6405.
• Crowne Plaza Dayton & View 162, 33 E 5th St.: View 162 is offering First Friday happy hour prices from 3-7 p.m. with special prices on appetizers and select specialty cocktails and wine at the bar at View 162! Call 224-0800.
• Deaf Monty’s Wine, 22 Brown St.: Enjoy $2-$3 tastings of select wines. Small plates available for purchase. Call 225-9463.
• Hannah’s, 121 N. Ludlow St.: It’s Fresh Shrimp Friday at Hannah’s! Try shrimp cocktail, peel-and-eat, shrimp street tacos, and shrimp skewers, cooked to order and served with house-made cocktail, remoulade and hot sauces. Call 640-1335.
• Oregon Express Bar and Restaurant, 336 E. Fifth St.: New Happy Hour 4-7 pm includes $10 pitchers of Stella, Fat Tire, and Lagunitas IPA. Call 223-9205.
• Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St.: Half-price happy hour including appetizers and $2 well drinks from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Call 461-1101.
• Clash Dayton, 521 E. Fifth St.: Calling all Capricorns! In honor of Clash shop owner Mary Katherine Burnside’s First Friday birthday, fellow Cappies can enter to win a free Moonglow necklace. Watch the Facebook event page for special sale items posted for First Friday. Call 259-8986.
• Luna Gifts & Botanicals, 261 Wayne Ave.: Shop Luna on First Friday and receive 10 percent off all purchases, plus double stamps on Luna reward cards. Call 522-0240.
WANT TO GO?
What: First Friday January
Where: Downtown Dayton
When: Friday, Jan. 4, 2019
Cost: Varies by location