It’s March Madness time!
The big party is coming up with Dayton Hoopla on March 15, followed by the First Four games.
But get started early this First Friday, March 6, where you will find plenty of places to dine, shop and watch the game.
🛍️Grace Lane Boutique celebrating its first anniversary
Head to their shop located on 133 E. Fourth St. for a Sip ’n’ Shop. Choice Juice Boxx will be creating a special drink just for their big night, and there will be door prizes, special sales and more. Bring a donation for the New Path food pantry and receive a mini-headshot session with Sharon Elaine Photography.
>> The best places to shop in the Oregon District
>> GUIDE: 9 shopping treasures you will discover in downtown Dayton
>> GUIDE: 7 amazing things to do in downtown Dayton
PRO TIP: USE THE FLYER SHUTTLE
Getting to all the listed locations is easy with the help of the free Flyer shuttle buses operating until 11 p.m., connecting dozens of locations between RiverScape MetroPark and the University of Dayton.
>>GUIDE: Here’s how to use downtown Dayton’s free shuttle
Here are a couple highlights this First Friday:
● The Contemporary Dayton, 118 N. Jefferson St.: Join the Contemporary for "Matter and Pattern" this First Friday as Michele BonDurant, Dayton; Britny Wainwright, Columbus; and Sonya Berg Menges, Austin, TX; present work at the intersection of painting, collage and ceramic. Call (937)224-3822.
● Dayton Society of Artists, 48 High St.: Join the DSA for the opening of their juried, spring regional show, AMPLIFY. The exhibition will highlight the talent of the greater Miami Valley and will celebrate the wide variety of media, styles, and techniques used by area artists. Awards will be given out at 7 p.m. Call (937) 228-4532.
● Dutoit Gallery, 1001 E. Second St.: The Dutoit Gallery announces a solo exhibition by Clara Coleman titled "Emerging Symbols" this First Friday beginning at 6 p.m. "Emerging Symbols" is a painted body of work that explores the fluid and relative symbolic connections to certain shapes, figures and subjects by both the artist and the viewer. Call (937) 829-8016.
● Edward A. Dixon Gallery, 12 S. Ludlow St.: The Edward A. Dixon Gallery will be open from 6-8:30 p.m. and will spotlight artwork from Ronnie Williams, Erica Arndts, Julio Pino Varens and more. Handcrafted Cards from Cindy Williams still available and a book of poems titled "Chasing Love" by Hsanni Scott just arrived at the gallery. Snacks and beverages will be provided, and there is free street parking nearby. Call (937) 331-8454.
● The Front Street Building Co., 1001 E. Second St.: Take a stroll through open studios, workshops, art galleries, and more. Visit with their artists, catch live demos, and experience the wide variety of art Dayton has to offer. On Friday night enjoy live music by Jerry; Vaughn LIVE and pizza from Gionino's Pizzeria. Call (937) 331-9061.
● The Barrel House, 417 E Third St.: Join The Barrel House for their Funky Friday! Beers will be on tap from Wolf's Ridge and food will be available from Smokin' Inferno BBQ. Cooley the Curator from Omega Music will be spinning from 6-10 p.m. Call (937) 222-4795.
● Benjamin & Marian Schuster Performing Arts Center, 1 W. Second St.: Join the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra as they perform Fiedler's Favorites II with Rhapsody in Blue. Arthur Fiedler satisfied a growing interest by the public in hearing the might of the symphony behind light classical and popular songs of the day in an informal atmosphere. The DPO plays an encore musical tribute to the man who made orchestral pops a nationwide sensation. Call (937) 228-7591
● Blind Bob's Bar, 430 E. Fifth St.: This First Friday, Blind Bob's will be hosting Grenades!? with special guests Forage, Noble Vices (Columbus), and Bird Brain Breakfast! 21 & up Happy Hour is from 4-8 p.m. with $1 off wells. Call (937) 938-6405.
● Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave: It is another Irish First Friday at Dublin Pub! Happy Hour is from 3-6 p.m. Head on over for a pint and a night of music from The Rice Bros. Call (937) 224-7822.
● Yellow Cab Tavern, 700 E. Fourth St.: Yellow Cab Tavern will be hosting Return to Music Fest Mountain featuring many awesome bands. It is $10 at the door and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to charity. Call (937) 424-3870.
>> The best in local music this week
>> GUIDE: The best places to see live, local music in Dayton
● The Black Box Improv Theatre, 518 E. Third St.: Beginning at 8 p.m., Tyler and Aidan, aka "Strictly Platonic," take a one-word suggestion and create two-person magic, creating a full one-act play full of zany characters. Don't miss this show that has captivated audiences from Dayton to Detroit. The Show is BYOB (Bring Your Own Bottle/Beer). Tickets are $15. Call (937) 369-0747.
● Dayton Chess Club, 18 W. Fifth St.: Every Friday evening (except when there are weekend tournaments), there is a USCF-rated tournament ($10 for DCC members /$20 for non-DCC members), plus a few players who opt to play casual chess. For First Friday, this will be Quick rated (G/24, 5 sec. increment). Call (937) 270-4016.
● The Human Race Theatre Company, 126 N Main St.: Join the Human Race Theatre Company for "Gloria: A Life" starting at 8 p.m. Tickets can be found at ticketcenterstage.com. Call (937) 461-3823.
● Chaminade Julienne Catholic High School, 505 S. Ludlow St.: CJ Performing Arts Presents "Little Women," on Friday, March 6, starting at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10. Tickets on sale at the door. Performances also Saturday, March 7, at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Call 937-461-3740.
● Space Three, 39 S. St. Clair St.: Space Three is a new boutique fitness studio in downtown Dayton. This First Friday, take the trifecta workout: Mini versions of barre, TRX, and SWERK all in one class. Registration is limited to 14 people. Sign up for FREE at www.spacethreedayton.com with a $10 minimum donation for Brigid's Path. Call (937) 604-0231.
● Urban Krag Climbing Center, 125 Clay St.: Swing by this restored church and get blown away by the 10,000-square-foot indoor rock-climbing center inside. Enjoy the First Timers Friday deal and get a day pass, belay certification, shoe, and harness rental, all for $30. Take First Friday to new heights from 3 to 11 p.m. Call (937) 224-5724.
🍸FOOD & DRINK
● Basil's On Market, 312 N. Patterson Blvd.: Basil's will be hosting Happy Hour from 3-6 p.m. Pop in to enjoy a $5 bar menu that includes bruschetta, fries, wings, artichoke dip, and tacos. They will also have $5 house wine and $5 select craft beer. Call (937) 818-4390.
● Fifth Street Brewpub, 1600 E. Fifth St.: Stop in to wind down after work or get your night started. Enjoy $1 off beers, wine and appetizers. Call (937) 443-0919.
● Oregon Express, 336 E. Fifth St.: Happy Hour 4-7 p.m. includes $10 pitchers of Stella, Fat Tire and Lagunitas IPA. Live music starts around 9 p.m. Call (937) 223-9205.
● Salar Restaurant & Lounge, 400 E. Fifth St.: Salar offers happy hour from 5 to 7 p.m. at the main bar, including options for a Build-Your-Own Pisco Bar. Bar patrons can enjoy $5 house wines, $1 off draft beer, and select $5 bar bites. Call (937) 203-3999.
● Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St.: Come to the Trolley Stop for half-price Happy Hour, with half-off appetizers and $2 Well Drinks from 4 to 7 p.m. Call (937)461-1101.
>> GUIDE: Fine dining in the Oregon District
>> GUIDE: Casual and late-night eats in the Oregon District
● Grace Lane Boutique, 133 E. Fourth St.: Grace Lane Boutique will be hosting a Sip 'n' Shop for its one-year anniversary. Bring a donation for the New Path food pantry and receive a mini-headshot photo session. Choice Juice Boxx will be creating a special drink, and there will be sales as well. Call (937) 903-2729.
WANT TO GO?
What: First Friday
Where: Downtown Dayton
When: Friday, March 6, 2020
Cost: Varies by location
More info: downtowndayton.org | First Friday Facebook page