Funerals held for teens shot to death by homeowner as investigation continues

A funeral was held Friday and another was scheduled for Saturday for two teenagers in a still-open case of being shot to death by a homeowner who opened fire on them in his Dayton garage a week ago.

>> Reaction fervent to Mayor Whaley's statement about fate of teens 

Even as Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl has asked the community for patience in the investigation, which centers on whether the homeowner acted in self-defense the night of Aug. 28, Mayor Nan Whaley prompted passionate reaction this week when she said the homeowner murdered the two 17-year-olds in the unsecured detached garage of the home in the 800 block of Conners Street.

The mayor said she hopes the homeowner will be prosecuted despite Ohio's new self-defense law.

The homeowner called 9-1-1 right after the shooting and told police the teens were trespassing. He has not been arrested or charged.

The families of Javier Harrison and Devin Henderson have said they want the homeowner charged. They said they agree with Whaley.

>> Chief Biehl: State will have to prove shooting was not self-defense

Friday, hundreds attended Javier's homegoing at Donald Jordan Memorial Chapel on Germantown Pike and listened to testimonials about a boy who worked to serve his community.

"He passed out free food to the tornado victims," said the minister who officiated Javier's services. "Javier spent a lot of time with us at the House Of Bread."

Ministers also referred to the one question still on the minds of many: Will anyone be held criminally responsible for the deaths of Javier and Devin?

"God is all over this and he is going to handle the business he needs to handle for your family," said the minister at Javier's funeral.

Asked Friday about the case, Greg Flanagan, a spokesman for Montgomery County Prosecutor Mat Heck Jr. said, "DPD [Dayton Police Department] detectives and assistant prosecutors met yesterday afternoon [Thursday] to discuss the status of the investigation.

“It was agreed that there is additional investigation that needs to be completed. DPD will notify us when they have completed the investigation, and they will meet again at that time," Flanagan said.

About the Author