Good measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus outbreak also are the same steps that should be taken to reduce the spread of other common illnesses, such as the flu.
RELATED: 3 Ohioans test positive for coronavirus; DeWine declares state of emergency
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Eat well balanced meals and get adequate sleep.
- Wash hands often with water and soap for 20 seconds or longer.
>> Flu hospitalizes 3K+ Ohioans in past month
- Dry hands with a clean towel or air dry hands.
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands or after touching surfaces.
- Clean and disinfect "high touch" surfaces often, such as door handles.
- Call before seeing your doctor.
>> Dayton leaders react to Ohio’s first coronavirus cases
How to get information
An Ohio call center will be open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and can be reached at 1-833-4-ASK-ODH (1-833-427-5634).
The number of potential cases and the results of testing are regularly updated every weekday at coronavirus.ohio.gov. The website also has more information on prevention and preparedness.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also has an extensive list of answers to frequently asked questions, sorted by category, at cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov. The CDC also regularly posts the latest news on COVID-19 on the website.
>> Coronavirus learning drill to keep Lakota students out of school Friday
About the Author