The Ohio Department of Natural Resources is coordinating New Year’s Day hikes around the state including Caesar Creek, Hueston Woods, Maumee Bay, Portage Lakes, Shawnee, and Wingfoot Lake state parks.
The naturalist-led winter hikes range from 1-3 miles and are perfect for both beginning and experienced hikers. Hikers are encouraged to dress in layers and wear sturdy footwear. The hikes include:
MORE: Community key to healing after tragedies like tornadoes, Oregon District mass shooting
• Caesar Creek State Park – Meet at the nature center at 1 p.m. for a 1-mile hike. Visitors are invited to stay for an additional 3-mile hike to the park’s swinging bridge and Horseshoe Falls. For more information, call (513) 897-3055.
• Hueston Woods State Park – Meet at the nature center at 11 a.m. for a hike that will showcase the flora and fauna of Hueston Woods. Participants will need a vehicle to drive to the trailhead. For more information, call (513) 523-6347.
• Maumee Bay State Park – Meet at the nature center at 10 a.m. for a 90-minute hike along the park’s boardwalk. After, warm up inside the nature center at the wildlife viewing windows. No pets please. For more information, call (419) 836-7758.
MORE: Dayton-area leaders look to 2020
• Portage Lakes State Park – Meet at 2 p.m. at the first parking lot on the right, as you enter the park. This 3-mile moderate hike will follow the Shoreline and Pheasant Run trails. For more information, call (330) 628-4720.
• Shawnee State Park – Meet in the lodge lobby at 1 p.m. for an easy 1-mile hike through the park’s oak-hickory woodland. After the hike, warm up by the lodge’s fireplace with hot chocolate and cookies. For more information, call (740) 858-6652.
MORE: Walking the Path of the Storm
• Wingfoot Lake State Park – Meet at the marina parking lot at 11 a.m. for an easy 1-mile hike along the Wildlife trail. For more information, call (330) 628-4720.