Here’s a guide on what to expect:
HOW TO GET STARTED
Start your art adventure at any one of the information stations, located near the Schuster Center at Second and Main streets, in the Oregon District at Fifth and Wayne streets, or the Fifth and Jefferson Party at Fifth and Jefferson streets. You can also start at any of the participating locations. Download a copy of the map from DowntownDayton.org, or pick up a copy from the DDP office in KeyBank Tower, or at a participating business.
>> Dayton's best Mediterranean restaurant open in its new home downtown
WHAT’S NEW THIS YEAR
• Artisan Market: Shop vendors selling handmade merchandise along Second Street between Main and Jefferson streets from 5-8 p.m.
• Community Stage: Check out friends and neighbors who signed up for a time slot on this special stage where they will share their performing talents with Art in the City guests. The Community Stage, supported by WYSO, will be at the corner of Main and Second streets outside the Schuster Center. Individual performers will take the stage from 5-7:15 p.m., and local band Berachah Valley will close the night from 7:15-8 p.m.
• Fifth and Jefferson Party: In addition to the Party on the Patio locations found throughout downtown, there will be a party on a patio that takes up about a full city block. Located across from the Convention Center at Fifth and Jefferson streets, the Fifth and Jefferson Party will have the main dance stage and Funk Lab Dance Center book-ending the block. Beer and wine will be available for purchase, along with snacks. Art-making activities and demos can also be found at this location. This will be the spot of the "grand finale" concert by Sonic Mojo from 8-10 p.m.
• Free shuttles: Look for specially marked banners on Greater Dayton RTA buses for the free shuttle. Download the map (or pick one up at the DDP office, participating businesses, or one of three information stations) for the shuttle stops and route. Also, guests can enjoy a ride on the Dayton Pedal Wagon, which will be free to hop on and off. There will be musical entertainment on board from 5-8 p.m., and the shuttles will run until 9 p.m. Link Dayton Bike Share will offer free fun passes that can be obtained at the Oregon District info station.
>> $2,500 per night: Home in Oregon District most expensive Airbnb in city
THINGS TO DO
• Juried Art Show: There are 17 locations to view the juried art show (see supplemental map). Each installation shows several pieces by the same artist. Voting is open Aug. 3-17; vote in person during Art in the City festival (Aug. 3 only), or online at Dayton.com in an online poll launching Friday (vote for the artist and his/her body of work you like best)
• Party on the Patio: There will be visual or performing artists on or near lots of downtown patios during Art in the City. Check out the map for locations and artists. Party on the Patio activities take place from 6 to 8 p.m.
• Pop-Up Performances: In addition to the Party on the Patio activities, there will be several "pop-up" performances taking place inside downtown businesses. The map has more information in the "Art Around Town" section.
• Three Stages: There will be three main stages during Art in the City. The Community Stage will feature members of the community (like an open mic event), located outside at Second and Main streets. Inside the Schuster Center, several organizations will be performing short segments. Puzzle of Light will close that stage with a final performance from 7:20 to 8 p.m. At the Fifth and Jefferson Party, a dedicated dance stage will be set up at one end, with short performances throughout the evening, and at the opposite side, Funk Lab Dance Center will have a dance-off, DJ, street art, and beatboxing contest. Dance activities here run from 5 to 8 p.m., and then wraps up with a closing performance by Sonic Mojo from 8-10 p.m.
K12 Gallery & TEJAS
Dayton Metro Library (downtown location)
Schuster Center (inside and outside)
Kettering Tower (inside and outside)
Fire Blocks district
Courthouse Square (United Way’s kickoff event)
St. Clair Lofts
The Oregon District
Patio at Fifth and Jefferson
PARKING TIPS AND HACKS
• Free Parking: The lots adjacent to K12 Gallery & TEJAS near the intersection of Patterson and Jefferson will offer free parking. The Arts Garage near the Schuster Center at Second and Ludlow streets will also be free for Art in the City. As always, on-street metered spaces are free after 6 p.m.
• Low-cost Parking: The Oregon District Garage, conveniently located next to the new Fifth and Jefferson Party on the Patio, is just $1 after 6 p.m. Closer to RiverScape MetroPark and its Pickin' in the Park event is the Main Street Garage across from CareSource at Main and First streets (enter off First Street) for a $3 flat rate.
>> PHOTOS: Did we spot you at Celtic Fest in downtown Dayton this weekend?