“The DiSalvo family is such a pillar in the Kettering area, and we are fortunate to have had Mamma DiSalvo’s wonderful restaurant in our community for the past 40 years,” Morgan said. “Many of us will truly miss the warm smile that Nick always greeted friends with — often followed by a big hug and kiss. I’m confident that his love for his family, friends and restaurant will continue to shine through.”
Family members wrote in Mr. DiSalvo's obituary that Nick was "passionate about his restaurant business and studying the bible. He loved fishing, attending church, and Bill's donuts. Nick enjoyed sports and was a huge fan of the Bengals, Cubs, and OSU football. Nick loved his boys and family beyond measure. His kind, humble demeanor made him a magnet for people."
The announcement prompted an outpouring of tributes and condolences on the Mamma DiSalvo's Italian Ristorante Facebook page. Here are some excerpts of comments:
- "Nick had a heart as great as the outdoors and loved to laugh and make people laugh. He had such a kind soul. May his memory be a blessing for the family and all who knew and loved Nick."
- "Whether it was your first time or 500th time in the restaurant, Nick treated you like a regular."
- "We loved his friendly welcome and his ability to make us feel like family."
- "He always treated me like gold from the time I was a kid to the last time I saw him. What a loss for the community and for the DiSalvo family."
- "The DiSalvo Family has been so good to me during my cancer battle and loss of my husband. Deepest sympathies for your loss of Nick."
- "Nick was always the one to greet you as you walked in the door! His presence will surely be missed!"
>>BEST OF DAYTON: Mamma Disalvo’s wins for Best Italian restaurant
The restaurant was already scheduled to be closed this week for a summer break that will extend through Tuesday, July 16.
Mamma DiSalvo’s is scheduled to reopen July 17 for dinner only through July 24, then is scheduled to resume its normal hours, which include lunch service Wednesday through Friday, on July 25. It is closed on Mondays.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Nick's name to Diabetes Assoc. of the Dayton Area, 2555 S. Dixie Dr. Ste 112, Moraine, OH 45409.
>> Texas Beef & Cattle to open a new BBQ restaurant in downtown Dayton