Named by Frommer's as one of America’s 10 Best Ice Cream Factory Tours, Velvet Ice Cream's Ye Olde Mill welcomes 150,000 visitors each year for tours, tastings, events and live entertainment on weekends. Family-owned and operated, Velvet produces and distributes more than five million gallons of ice cream every year from its headquarters on the grounds of Ye Olde Mill.
Velvet Ice Cream's Ye Olde Mill in Utica, Ohio.
The Utica, Ohio-based ice cream maker is celebrating its 105th anniversary and four generations of leadership.
Velvet Ice Cream milkshake served up at Ye Olde Mill.
Ye Olde Mill is open July-Aug., 11 a.m.-8 p.m.; September, 11 a.m.- 6 p.m.; and in Oct., 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Here are a few things to expect on a visit to the mill and ice cream shop:
• Free Velvet Ice Cream factory tours
• Watching ice cream being made in the viewing gallery (Monday-Friday)
• Free play on the Ye Olde Mill playground
• Three shelter houses for picnics and family gatherings
• A Historic 1817 grist mill with water wheel
• An updated, modern ice cream parlor
• Interactive Ice Cream Museum
• Fishing and feeding the family of ducks at two catch-and-release ponds
• Nature trail
Ice Cream Festival crowd at Ye Olde Mill in Utica, Ohio, Sunday, May 27, 2007. (CONTRIBUTED PHOTO)
WANT TO GO?
What: Ye Old Mill and Velvet Ice Cream Factory
Where: 11324 Mount Vernon Road, Utica
Hours: Ye Olde Mill is open in July-Aug., 11 a.m.-8 p.m.; September, 11 a.m.- 6 p.m.; and in Oct., 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
More info: Facebook | Website