In July, in celebration of National Ice Cream Month, it’s even sweeter. For the last two Fridays in July, visitors can enjoy Happy Hour 3-6 p.m. at the Mill with single scoop cones for $1.05.
Named by Frommer's as one of America’s 10 Best Ice Cream Factory Tours, Velvet Ice Cream's Ye Olde Mill welcomes 150,000 visitors each year for tours, tastings, events and live entertainment on weekends. Family-owned and operated, Velvet produces and distributes more than five million gallons of ice cream every year from its headquarters on the grounds of Ye Olde Mill.
The Utica, Ohio-based ice cream maker is celebrating its 105th anniversary and four generations of leadership.
Ye Olde Mill is open July-Aug., 11 a.m.-8 p.m.; September, 11 a.m.- 6 p.m.; and in Oct., 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Here are a few things to expect on a visit to the mill and ice cream shop:
• Free Velvet Ice Cream factory tours
• Watching ice cream being made in the viewing gallery (Monday-Friday)
• Free play on the Ye Olde Mill playground
• Three shelter houses for picnics and family gatherings
• A Historic 1817 grist mill with water wheel
• An updated, modern ice cream parlor
• Interactive Ice Cream Museum
• Fishing and feeding the family of ducks at two catch-and-release ponds
• Nature trail
WANT TO GO?
What: Ye Old Mill and Velvet Ice Cream Factory
Where: 11324 Mount Vernon Road, Utica
Hours: Ye Olde Mill is open in July-Aug., 11 a.m.-8 p.m.; September, 11 a.m.- 6 p.m.; and in Oct., 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
More info: Facebook | Website