Five local restaurants will be participating for the first time in the Miami Valley Restaurant Association’s Winter Restaurant Week promotion, which runs Jan. 20-27.
Carillon Brewing Company, Calypso Grill and Smokehouse in Yellow Springs, View 162 Rooftop Restaurant in the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Tank’s Bar and Grill and Primanti Bros. will be participating for the first time, hoping to attract hungry diners with special three-course menus. Salar Restaurant and Lounge is back on the roster after reopening for business.
>> BEST OF DAYTON 2018: Food & Dining winners
HOW RESTAURANT WEEK WORKS
The restaurant week promotion was established more than a decade ago as a way to generate interest and traffic to local restaurants and help give diners a chance to explore the menu at a more affordable price point.
“The community loves restaurant week. It provides a great value for the consumer and offers many new menus. It has really become a community event. I actually have people call and ask when restaurant week is to plan their vacations around it,” said Amy Zahora, executive director of the Miami Valley Restaurant Association (MVRA).
The seasonal promotion presents an opportunity to sample the best that local restaurants have to offer in the form of three-course meals priced at $20.19, $25.19, or $30.19 at a variety of restaurants all over town.
There are always impressive menus each year that are fun to peruse prior to settling on where to go.
At Firebirds Wood Fired Grill at Austin Landing for example, diners can choose from a jumbo lump crab cake, cup of soup or choice of salads for the first course. A slow roasted prime rib encrusted with fresh herbs and pepper, grilled short ribs served over creamy cheddar polenta with crispy fried spinach, gnocchi chicken Florentine grilled chicken with portobello mushrooms and spinach in a creamy Asiago sauce or chile-rubbed salmon topped with crab and spinach fondue with Parmesan mashed potatoes are the choices for the main course. Crème brûlée cheesecake squares, Key lime pie with white chocolate sauce and a chocolate brownie with Breyers ice cream are the options that will tempt you for dessert. At $30.19 it’s priced to make a larger meal a little more affordable and to attract new customers in search of a dining experience they haven’t gotten around to trying yet.
“This is a week the restaurants showcase their talents and try out new menu items at a really good value. The restaurants love seeing new faces and participating in restaurant week. The last week in January is a slower time for the restaurants and this is a way to support (them),” said Zahora.
Zahora recommends making reservations in advance and to double-check the dates and the restaurants that are participating — not all restaurants are open seven days a week. Earlier dining times and off-peak days like Sunday through Wednesday are likely to have more availability.
With 45 restaurants participating in this year’s Winter Restaurant Week promotion, there are more options than days in the week to try them.
So the chance to get a lot of different little tastes from a variety of the menus that will be presented is the best way to figure out a good plan of attack.
2019 WINTER RESTAURANT WEEK PARTICIPATING RESTAURANTS
The following is a list of the businesses scheduled to participate in the 2019 Miami Valley Restaurant Associations’ Winter Restaurant Week taking place Jan. 20-27.
Please note — this list of participating restaurants is subject to change and reservations may be required from some participating locations. Calling ahead is recommended, for details, hours and reservations. For the most up-to-date list and information visit http://dineoutdayton.com.
• Amber Rose, 1400 Valley St., (937) 228-2511
• Basil’s on Market, 312, N. Patterson Blvd, (937) 818-4390
• Carillon Brewing Company, 1000 Carillon Blvd., (937) 910-0722
• Coco’s Bistro, 250 Warren St., (937) 228-2626
• Dewberry 1850, Marriott at the University of Dayton, 1414 S. Patterson Blvd., (937) 223-1000
• Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave., (937) 224-7822
• Franco’s Ristorante Italiano, 824 E. Fifth St., (937) 222-0204
• Jay’s Seafood Restaurant, 225 E. Sixth St., (937) 222-2892
• Lily’s Bistro, 329 E. Fifth St., (937) 723-7637
• Roost Modern Italian, 524 E. 5th St., (937) 222-3100
• Salar Restaurant and Lounge, 400 E. 5th St., (937) 203-3999
• Tank’s Bar and Grill, 2033 Wayne Ave., (937) 252-2249
• Wheat Penny, 515 Wayne Ave., (937) 496-5268
• View 162 Rooftop Restaurant, Crowne Plaza Dayton, 33 E. 5th St., (937) 224-0800
• Buckhorn Tavern, 8800 Meeker Road, (937) 890-3261
• Christopher’s Restaurant, 2318 E. Dorothy Lane, (937) 299-0089
• Figlio, 424 E. Stroop Road in the Town & Country shopping center, (937) 534-0494
• Carvers Steaks & Chops, 1535 Miamisburg-Centerville Road, (937) 433-7099
• Chappy’s Social House, 7880 Washington Village Drive, (937) 439-9200
• Kabuki, 848 S. Main St., (937) 435-9500
• Nelly’s, 79 S. Main St., (937) 859-5555
• Sweeney’s Seafood Bar and Grill, 28 W. Franklin St., (937) 291-3474
• The Chop House, 7727 Washington Village Drive, (937) 291-1661
• Meadowlark, 5531 Far Hills Ave., (937) 434-4750
• The Melting Pot, 453 Miamisburg-Centerville Road, (937) 567-8888
• ele Bistro and Wine Bar, 3680 Rigby Road, (937) 384-2253
• Firebirds Wood Fired Grill, 3500 Rigby Road, (937) 865-9355
• Watermark Restaurant, 20 S. First St., (937) 802-0891
• El Meson, 903 E. Dixie Drive, (937) 859-8229
• Bunker’s Sports Bar & Grill, 893 E. National Road, (937) 890-8899
• Basils on Market, 18 N. Market St., (937) 875-2068
• The Caroline, 5 S. Market St., (937) 552-7676
• Smith’s Boathouse Restaurant, 439 N. Elm St., (937) 335-3837
• Hickory River Smokehouse, 135 S. Garber Drive, (937) 669-2271
• Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse, 4432 Walnut St., Beavercreek, (937) 320-9548
• Pasha Grill, 72 Plum St., The Greene, Beavercreek, (937) 429-9000
• Primanti Bros., 2430 N. Fairfield Road, (937) 912-9229
• The Wandering Griffin, 3725 Presidential Drive, (937) 956-5216
• Wellington Grille, 2450 Dayton-Xenia Road, (937) 426-4600
• Calypso Grill and Smokehouse, 1535 Xenia Ave., (937) 767-9000
• Mills Park Hotel, 321 Xenia Ave., (937) 319-0400
• Sunrise Cafe, 259 Xenia Ave., (937) 767-7211
• The Winds Cafe and Bakery, 215 Xenia Ave., (937) 767-1144
• Nick’s Restaurant, 1443 N. Detroit St., Xenia, (937) 372-3202
• The Dock, 250 W. Main St., (937) 864-5011
• Season’s Bistro & Grille, 28 S. Limestone St., (937) 521-1200